Feather Fixer ~ Good for molting hen(s)?

Would Feather Fixer be helpful?

• Yes - it will be helpful

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No - it most likely will not improve anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe - I’ve never used it, but it appears to be useful!

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Me too! She is NUTS for the starter feed, btw :lol:
She was just bare skinned, with a few feathers, now, she has lots of pin feathers coming in. I can’t wait until all her normal plumage and feathers come in! :wee

Yes, I too was surprised at how much adult chickens love starter feed! :lol: But once they get their fill of it, they can turn their beaks up at it. And of course after molting ends and egg laying has again commenced, you might stop using the starter. But starter helps with molting, me and my flock are hooked on it! :D

Yes, I too was surprised at how much adult chickens love starter feed! :lol: But once they get their fill of it, they can turn their beaks up at it. And of course after molting ends and egg laying has again commenced, you might stop using the starter. But starter helps with molting, me and my flock are hooked on it! :D
After I see she’s gotten her feathers in for the most part... I’ll cut down to maybe 25% of the feed being starter and then go back to just the normal feed after she’s laid and seems to have all of her regular feathers in

After I see she’s gotten her feathers in for the most part... I’ll cut down to maybe 25% of the feed being starter and then go back to just the normal feed after she’s laid and seems to have all of her regular feathers in

I would wait until you see very little feather skins and feathers are pretty much all in, when combs start to redden again. This is how I do it, but you can pull it out when ever you see fit. :)

Layer feed is meant for medium sized actively laying hens, who are a fraction of my flock. For the roosters, pullets, molting birds, off-season layers, and old ladies, an all-flock feed is way better. Once your young flock develops into this type of group, layer feed no longer is the best choice. If you do an 'all-in, all-out' type of flock management, layer feed will be fine.
Mary

I have a feather picker/eater! :hit

I caught Maddie picking and eating Big Heifer’s feathers! :barnie:hit

What can I do?

I put some starter feed, oyster shells, greens from foraging, and cat food in a bowl in case that would help:
0678CAAB-0AA4-466A-B4C3-190B64855A0A.jpeg
73C77004-95EA-45BF-8D06-F56E88D65B63.jpeg
8ECBF7D4-8616-401E-AB40-5DE1B64C6120.jpeg
E64A5850-0141-428D-9711-11BFBFC30D9F.jpeg

It's common for birds to eat each others feathers during molting time. I HATE when they do this and generally it becomes a habit you can never break once they start. Chickens THINK they are consuming high protein in these discarded feathers when in fact their bodies are unable to draw out little if any protein from them. All you can do is feed a higher protein food and pick up molted feathers as often as possible. Feather eating can clog up crops and gizzards, so do your best to keep the area clean of fallen feathers.

Back
Top Bottom