Feather identification

do you have any other chickens with that feather color?
yes but I checked them and they dont have any damage at all, they are the same color as my rooster

You're not likely going to notice feathers missing on your birds.
The raptor went after one of your other birds, decided the silkie, because silkies are *defenseless* and was the easier target and took her.
yeah unfortunately I do believe this is the case, but the feathers also just dont seem to match when I lift them up to compare them, idk maybe im looking too far into it, I want to make sure that my rooster isnt hurt because if he is I want to make sure he doesnt get an infection

My first thought was also that the feathers on the ground belong to your rooster. There aren't enough feathers there that you would notice him missing any. I thought they were your rooster's feathers because in the photo he appears to have a white undercoat, and also you later said he was standing guard alone. The one black and red feather appears to match his tail or wing feather colors. Those definitely look like chicken feathers to me, so carefully check over your rooster and all hens with red outer feathers and white undercoats. Feathers easily hide and cover wounds, and could become infected before you notice a problem.

Yeah I think they are from my rooster but I’m not sure how to keep this owl or hawk away (I have seen both) I decided I’m going to keep my silkies separate because I don’t want to loose any more and I’d like to get silkie hatching eggs although I will need a silkie rooster

Do you think this hawk/owl will go after my larger chickens or my other bantams that are a little faster than silkies (Japanese bantams) and if so, how do I keep them away?

Owls and hawks definitely kill large fowl birds, though the carcass will be too heavy for them to carry it away. (Or at least not until they eat most of it.😪) Predators are getting hungrier now with wild prey diminishing, and your raptor will try very hard to get more of your chickens since it has already been successful once. Some people advise locking poultry up for a couple of weeks or so until the predator moves on, but if a predator includes your property as part of its range and territory, it will always come back. If I were you, I would keep them penned with a covered roof that hawks can't fly through for as long as possible, ideally at least until the leaves bud back out in the spring (assuming your flock has trees and bushes to hide under), and wild prey once again becomes more plentiful. My LGDs are very effective hawk deterrents, but others have had hawks attack their poultry when their dog was nearby. Some people say that fishing line strung overhead where the flock roams, and with the lines strung close enough that a raptor can't easily fly through them prevent hawk attacks, and that hanging shiny cds or other material from trees along with the fishing line further disorients hawks.

It's very difficult to keep poultry safe when a determined, hungry predator is lurking around, and even more so after it has made a sucessful kill. I'm really sorry about your Silkie, and hope you succeed in keeping the rest of your flock safe.

Back
Top Bottom