Feather Issues with My Flock

Fiddlestickx

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
Kerry, Ireland
Hello
My hens are a mixture of a Rhode Island Red and a Marran - they are 1 year old, they are penned in quite a large space, i do not have the facility for them to be able to forage free range, they are laying laying since about 6 months old and are good layers, they are fed a mixture of layers pellets and rolled barley and table waste, they are in general good health..BUT recently i have noticed a problem with the plumage, its patchy in places and on their backs close to the tail area, the feathers are what can only be described as "fluffy" and not how they were, when the hens first developed the plumage - the actual tail is in tact as normal, the feathers further up the back have the appearance of being cut or stunted- its for all the world like they have been cut with a razor - Please if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this, let me know x

IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

Hello 1muttsfan
Thank you for replying, no i do not have a rooster and i have already examined for parasites and i dont see any, I also had a friend of mine who has been raising chickens for years to have a look to properly rule the parasite thing out and he did, though he was baffled about the feather condition - I suppose the barley is 50-60% of what they eat, maybe more, i have 15 and i guess i would give them the bones of regular sized bucket daily?? - as ive said mine are in a run and depend on me for greenery, veg etc and tbh ive not really been giving them that much, since this feather issue i have started to give a good supply of greens daily - Ide appreciate any feedback
Thanks again

Hello and welcome to BYC. I can’t make any additional suggestions, sorry.

ETA: in light of your response, I’d recommend removing all but proprietary feed from their diet, and possibly change from layers to all flock / growers feed (higher protein content) with optional oyster shell in a separate feeder to see if its diet-related.

Do you also provide a source of calcium such as oyster shell Grit?
Feedng a primarily one source grain diet like that can often lead to dietary imbalances, such as calcium to phosphorus ratio irregularities, protein level problems, and vitamin issues.
In general, you want to limit the food apart from their balanced layer pellets to about 15% of their calorie intake.

Hi Pork Pie Ken
Do you mean to not feed any rolled barley, just keep them on feed, what does oyster feed do?
Thanks Fiddlestickx
Correct. Oyster shell acts as a source of calcium that laying birds need. Non-layers feed does not contain the necessary calcium load for laying birds, hence the need to have oyster shell in a separate feeder. They will eat what they need.

I think Ken and I are on the same track at the same time :)

The longer hens are in lay, the more likely it is for diet imbalances - particularly calcium-related ones in laying hens, since the use so much calcium to make shells - to show up.

There are 2 kinds of grit that are important when keeping chickens.
Calcium grit, such as oyster shell, provides extra calcium for eggshells.

Granite grit aids in digestion of grains (the grit helps grind hard stuff like grain up in the gizzard).

Both should be offered free choice.

:welcome

I have seen that in my flock.

I also found it was an older bantam picking feathers off the other birds.

I upped the protein and the behaviour stopped.

I definitely agree with removing the barley and upping the protein.

My birds definitely prefer pacific pearl brand oyster shell. They wont touch the stuff that looks like drywall crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom