feather loss and swelling around eyes

Ohhhh yup. Sounds like a molt to me. I've heard good things about switching their feed to a higher protein variety, like the gamebird feed. There's also a feed by Nutrena called "Feather Fixer". Have heard good things about that too but haven't tried it personally.

Oh, you can also check their vents to see if they're laying or not. A large moist looking vent means theyre laying. A smaller, dry vent means they're not.

I think you're right about the molt. We don't have a rooster, and the molting pattern this year has been weird, probably due to bizarre weather. The girls I was most worried about are 8 months old, and they haven't laid eggs in over 2 months.
most of the time these things aren't moulting or pecking they are mites, mosquitoes, lice or the likes .... try ash from your fire (i keep a stock of it for summer) to keep away mites etc (all over the birds and then they'll leave it on their roosts if they not perching). this will keep away those nasties. but mossies it would be best to buy a buzz b gone mossie zapper or some sandalwood mossie coils. you could try a bit of extra thick black castor oil on their bald areas to keep the blighters away and it will also assist with other skin problems and may help hair growth. i spray a few times a day my hen hotel with clove and citronella (essential oils mixed with rainwater). good luck.

Ohhhh yup. Sounds like a molt to me. I've heard good things about switching their feed to a higher protein variety, like the gamebird feed. There's also a feed by Nutrena called "Feather Fixer". Have heard good things about that too but haven't tried it personally.
even the more reason to use homeopathy. don't understand the human when a medicine is so cheap and easy to use on poultry .......

Back
Top Bottom