Feather Loss-Bare Belly-NOT MOLTING

Unrelated to I have noticed that one of my chickens chest is really swollen but I can't catch her to feel it any suggestions on what it might be
Is it not just a full crop? I'm a new chick mom and last week i panicked because of this very thing! A lump the size of a tennis ball on the right side of her chest. I discovered it was just a very full crop and was smaller the next morning.

Any updates on this thread? I have one of 24 chickens that this has happened to. They have access to dust bathing with dried herbs, lavender, peppermint and lemon balm.

I also posted same problem today and some of the ideas here are very helpful. Hope you figure yours out and me too. Already lost 1 bird and about to lose 2nd. Have been using poultry dust. Will try dusting in box trick and checking at nite trick. thank you all

I just tried the box trick mentioned above and it worked. I now know mine have mites and am proceeding to eliminating the pests. Give it a try !!!!

Some of this thread is old but thought I'd add rather than create a new one. I have a couple of hens with this bare belly also and haven't seen signs of lice or mites. Two of them with bare belly's look like they picked their own feathers perhaps as there's no irriration or sign of bugs, dirt, etc, just bare smooth belly??! If it was mites would there be irritation?

If they are plucking their own belly feathers it's likely not bullying b/c it's right under their belly. Could it be stress?? There's no signs of broodiness! Ah, I'm stumped and really hoping it's not mites. I can't get my hands on poultry dust these days so only have Dr Doom spray. Didn't see blood when I wiped roosts with paper towel one night. What else do I look for to solve this mystery?!

Is it possible they are feather plucking to get closer to eggs but NOT going broody??
TIA....anyone....

Iam on this for the same reason, bare bellies! No piles of feathers like molting, no swelling, shiny feathers everywhere else, bright red wattles and laying eggs. I will do the mite test. We had loads of sterlings last summer that brought red mites. I was told by a poultry vet to put Vaseline on the legs, the mites hide in the scales if their legs vasaline suffocated the mites. Still had to bath them and sterilize the entire coop. But even then they looked horrible, pale and dull feathers. These girls look terrific until you pick them up and flip them over. Frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom