Feather loss - not growing back as it gets cooler outside

The vet called tonight and the poop sample came back that she had lung worm. I treated my chickens for this last spring as my other chicken was sick and made a full recovery. I was going to try to treat her tonight but she has rapidly declined and wouldn’t eat the medication. I don’t think she drank any water today and I couldn’t make her either. I made a plan with the vet to take her in tomorrow to put her down if the medication did not help but I couldn’t even try it. I think there are many underlying things going on and you have all been very helpful during this difficult journey.

thank you
I’m so sorry to hear this. I had been following along hoping for the best. 💔 You did a wonderful job caring for her. Looks like you gave her a great life.

The vet called tonight and the poop sample came back that she had lung worm. I treated my chickens for this last spring as my other chicken was sick and made a full recovery. I was going to try to treat her tonight but she has rapidly declined and wouldn’t eat the medication. I don’t think she drank any water today and I couldn’t make her either. I made a plan with the vet to take her in tomorrow to put her down if the medication did not help but I couldn’t even try it. I think there are many underlying things going on and you have all been very helpful during this difficult journey.

thank you
:hugsI'm so sorry

My lovely chicken has passed away. Thank you so much for all your support.

I only have one chicken left now. I don’t want to get another chicken at the moment, but I’m worried that she will be very lonely. Can chickens do alright on their own? I am worried that if I introduce a new chicken they will be mean to the one I have left as she has a Crossbeak and a few other physical issues that she has always had. Also I don’t want to pass any disease onto the new chicken. Would love some advice about what you might do?

This is the one that is left. She is also such a sweet girl and even eats lunch with my baby:) They like to hang out!

Attachments

• E70C4D46-7B8E-48A8-B1EF-535B747A851E.jpeg
    E70C4D46-7B8E-48A8-B1EF-535B747A851E.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm sorry to for your loss:(

As for the remaining hen, I know many disagree, but I think she will be fine by herself. Does she have a coop outside? How cold does it get? You may need to add some extra straw for her.

Back
Top Bottom