Feather loss on face

It could be fungal. There's a parasitic fungus that annoys chickens called Favus. Monistat cream should get rid of it. Before you do that, check all over the bird under good lighting for mites. I don't know what other folks use for topical fungi but Miconazole Nitrate is the common treatment for it. Just keep it away from the bird's eyes.

Last edited:
I am having a problem with this with one of my own birds. It often spreads beyond the face and they start loosing feathers down the neck and on the body as well. I spoke with my avian vet and he said they get the best results treating it by giving the bird an oral medication as well as topical since it can be really hard to get topical ointment on every little spot on their body that it crops up. Kind of a never ending battle that way. Can't remember the name of the oral meds, he's going to see her next week, the topicals recommended are either the Miconazole Nitrate as mentioned or tolnafate (sp?) (Tinactin) cream. Good luck, it's my understanding that it can be very hard to get under control. I know we've been trying with the miconazole topical for weeks with no improvement, so off to the vet we go I guess.

I have a 15 year old goose that seems to be losing feathers under his eyes and between them. Any ideas on what is causing it? We have had a very harsh winter here in indiana. Could it be weather related?

Back
Top Bottom