Feather loss on head

EHook518

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2012
Denver, CO
I have a 1.5 year old Mottled Java that has lost most of the feathers on her head and throat (see picture). She is not the bottom of the pecking order, I would say she is ranked 2nd out of the 9 hens I have. I don't have any roosters either. What would cause her to lose the feathers on her head? I have had her for about a year, she hasn't had any health issues and I have not found lice or mites on her. She does have some odd behaviors, she will sit by herself in the mornings or stand with her body all compacted and feathers fluffed as if it was cold. As far as I know she is laying. Good appetite and she is feisty towards the other hens. She used to be one of my meanest hens but has thankfully matured out of that but the other hens still respect her. Any ideas?

I have been watching the other chickens, no one seems to pick on her. They don't get scratch, I give them BOSS and dried mealworms as a snack. Their feed is Ranch-Way organic no soy layer which I believe is 16-18%. I had them on a higher protein feed when I merged my younger girls which was 20% and there was no difference. She has been like this for about 6 months.

I have been watching the other chickens, no one seems to pick on her. They don't get scratch, I give them BOSS and dried mealworms as a snack. Their feed is Ranch-Way organic no soy layer which I believe is 16-18%. I had them on a higher protein feed when I merged my younger girls which was 20% and there was no difference. She has been like this for about 6 months.
Well if it makes you feel better I have one that has no hair up there too (someone plucks her head feathers) and that is just the way she stays.
tongue.png

They have minds all their own.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom