feather loss on neck and belly

eltucan

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2016
2 of our hens started loosing feathers on the bellies and i thoroughly checked for mites and dusted whole coop with dic earth. One of them now has feather loss on her neck and it looks very red, I spray with purple spray to stop others pecking at it but I haven't seen any evidence of her being pecked.The are completely free range on the beach and woods so plenty of space.
Help please what can I try next?

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

How old are they?

It looks like she is molting to me. Molting usually starts at the head and neck, then progresses downward. I see new feather growth on her neck, which would be normal.

For the belly, some of the loss could be from roosting or rubbing some of the feather off during nesting.

Provide them with some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat or use an 18-20% protein commercial feed. A molting hen can be a little droopy, so offer them some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week as well.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/12/molting-what-is-it-and-how-to-help.html

Thanks for your reply, she is 3 years old and hasn't molted before. I will give her some extra protein and see how she gets on. thanks

Thanks for your reply, she is 3 years old and hasn't molted before. I will give her some extra protein and see how she gets on. thanks

I know this is a few years old but did you ever resolve this issue? I have a few birds with similar feather pattern loss.
Thanks!

I didn't find any other reason other than moulting but she didn't moult anywhere else just her belly and neck. She was like that for several months and then it just grew back again.

Back
Top Bottom