Feather loss on neck. Molting or something else?

arittenb1

In the Brooder
May 13, 2019
I have a Sapphire Gem that is a little over a year old. She appears perfectly healthy besides the hair loss on her neck that has started recently. I was wondering if someone could tell me if it looks like molting or if I should be concerned its something else?
20200408_164555.jpg
20200408_164554.jpg

Rats do that during night,see if the feathers stumps remain there as if they were cut (if the skin is soft without the stumps that`s another problem)

Rats do that during night,see if the feathers stumps remain there as if they were cut (if the skin is soft without the stumps that`s another problem)
It looks like the stumps are there. So your saying a rat is getting into my coop and doing this to her while she's roosting?

Yes, mice (rats) do that - on the neck and on the back part mainly, during night time, they use the feathers to make they own nests,some use feathers to make pillows and coats other to make nests!!! :D

I learned that some years ago when three of my chickens started "changing " feathers in the middle of May...one on the neck,the others on their backs (when they loose the feathers no stumps remain there) .A few days later I notice some corn grains half eaten on the floor, then I realized I had I rat problem. Cleaning the coop I found one big rat nest "decorated" with grey feathers - my little girls feathers!!!Sometimes they come to collect the feathers and take them anywhere else...Those rats!!!

Back
Top Bottom