Feather loss or weird feather growth?

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
So, no chicks in my last two batches have I seen this.
This is my first experience with this breed though.
She is four weeks old, and I have not witnessed feather picking or stomping on one another as they are in my garage in a brooder. I go out there all the time.
I have not either noticed feathers in the brooder or any thing else that would qualify as bullying.

They are moving into the run next week at five weeks to get them to slowly integrate into the rest of the flock for 2-3 weeks or more what it takes. (In a separate confine in the run).

she is eating and drinking well. I keep a really clean brooder just because I’m terrified of my chicks getting sick with something I could have easily prevented.

I only noticed it because I picked her up this morning like I do every day and her feathers were displaced by my fingers when I put her in my lap.

Her feathers are growing in very fast though. Below her vent I see a line of feathers coming in, and under her wings.

What should I do? I haven’t noticed any lice, or parasites. Their droppings are very normal looking and I haven’t seen any thing crawling on them.

*she is a maran of some sort. Her legs are feathered.

Attachments

• 86EC5BC6-1F21-44DF-9013-3B888B9607EE.jpeg
    86EC5BC6-1F21-44DF-9013-3B888B9607EE.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 11
I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see parasites like mites on her. Chicks lose their fluff like that and sometimes it takes a while for the feathers to grow in.

Give it time... Just keep an eye on the chick and make sure it’s not parasites. If it’s eating and drinking fine then I would just keep my eyes on it.

I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see parasites like mites on her. Chicks lose their fluff like that and sometimes it takes a while for the feathers to grow in.

Give it time... Just keep an eye on the chick and make sure it’s not parasites. If it’s eating and drinking fine then I would just keep my eyes on it.

Thank you! She is definitely going through an awkward phase for sure.
Under her vent you can see a line of brand new feathers growing in. A perfect line.

They look like weird dinosaurs at that age. I have some that are so ugly 😂 They’re naked necks and they look like gangly dinosaurs that someone left behind 🤣

My Buffs and EEs never went through a weird feather stage but my EEs went through a weird puberty looking stage 🤣 my husband said they looked dumb for the last 3 weeks. Now, they’re looking more mature at 14 weeks.

My idea brown and silver Wyandotte look very normal in their growing feather pattern.

But this girl 🤣 man, hopefully she looks quite normal by 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom