Feather loss/red around the vent, pics posted

I have also had this problem recently. I'm wondering if my roosters aren't the problem. I'm getting ready to move them into a bigger space. Maybe that will help.

I wanted to speak to dipping them. I did a wash for mites one time that I found on here. Dawn soap mixture in one bucket, clean water in the next bucket then a vinegar wash in the last one. Repeat in 7 days. It was a pain, but it finally got rid of the mites. I haven't had a problem since.

Now, I have this vent problem. I haven't seen mites. I have a few who are getting plucked on their backs, so maybe that is what is happening around their vent also.. like everyone else, it's only a couple of them. However, we do also have mice/rats. They are terrible this year. I'm wondering if they carry some diseases that are affecting the birds. Hard to know.

I'm ramping up nutrition, moving to a larger pen, and dusting them. We shall see.

I see that a lot of you guys are having this problem mine is a little different as my chicks are only 4 weeks old. The pic is a little blurry but her bottom is red, bald, runny, bleeding and her vent is hard to see. I just found this yesterday, they are in the garage so I check them frequently. I didn't pay much attention because they were getting their feathers in so they do look bald in spots, but this seems infected. Eathers missing on her stomach, but not red, looks nirmal for this age. Fethers missing on her neck in a spot the sz of a quarter, looks red. Should I separate her,they are on some organic food and some medicated food. Water and food changed daily as they poop in it all the time. The kennel they are in is cleaned and bedding changed weekly. I hv never anythig like this before. HELP!

I see that a lot of you guys are having this problem mine is a little different as my chicks are only 4 weeks old. The pic is a little blurry but her bottom is red, bald, runny, bleeding and her vent is hard to see. I just found this yesterday, they are in the garage so I check them frequently. I didn't pay much attention because they were getting their feathers in so they do look bald in spots, but this seems infected. Eathers missing on her stomach, but not red, looks nirmal for this age. Fethers missing on her neck in a spot the sz of a quarter, looks red. Should I separate her,they are on some organic food and some medicated food. Water and food changed daily as they poop in it all the time. The kennel they are in is cleaned and bedding changed weekly. I hv never anythig like this before. HELP!

I see that a lot of you guys are having this p
roblem mine is a little different as my chicks are only 4 weeks old. The pic is a little blurry but her bottom is red, bald, runny, bleeding and her vent is hard to see. I just found this yesterday, they are in the garage so I check them frequently. I didn't pay much attention because they were getting their feathers in so they do look bald in spots, but this seems infected. Eathers missing on her stomach, but not red, looks nirmal for this age. Fethers missing on her neck in a spot the sz of a quarter, looks red. Should I separate her,they are on some organic food and some medicated food. Water and food changed daily as they poop in it all the time. The kennel they are in is cleaned and bedding changed weekly. I hv never anythig like this before. HELP!

Since I am new to chicken I do not know what is going on with my girls. A few started to lose feathers on near the vent and now it is beat red and it looks chapped. Then another chicken is losing feathers behind her wings and again it is red. I looked for any parasites and did not find anything. Any ideas?
This is the red vent area
2vd5lqa.jpg

n5g780.jpg

Here is the feather loss around the wings, also you can see the feathers look scruffy, is that normal?
2gubiwi.jpg

A picture of part of the coop
21ct5sg.jpg
Two of my chickens also look like yours do around the vent area. I am thinking molting, but don't know for sure and am asking anyone who knows if I should be more concerned. I hope it is not anything serious!

Hi, my chickens have the same problem, no feathers on their necks, some are missing on their back's and on the butt area. Some have really red skin in those areas and have sores. I lost a chicken this weekend and she was only 1yr old. There are some that pick on the other ones. I have tried everything. Can somebody please help me and tell me what is going on. They are very spoiled but I am so worried about them. I hope to hear from you guys soon because I have no idea what to do. Thank you in advance. Oh, I don't have a Rooster.

Hi everyone,

I landed on this long thread via a google search and noticed there were no specific answers, though a lot of questions. I'm afraid I have to add my question too.

I have (eh had) 7 hens, they are 2 years old. They recently slowed down laying, we get 3 to 4 eggs a day from the 7. Last week, I noticed that one of the hens had lost the feathers exactly like in the first pictures in this thread. Two days ago, her comb started hanging down and looked gray. We gave her extra food (cut up dandelion leaves and some snails and bugs), she ate well, but she was walking slow.
Yesterday, she came down from the roosting spot as usual, but it was clear that she was not well.
When I checked on her yesterday afternoon, she had died.

Now one other hen has feather loss in that area. So far she seems fine, she eats, her comb is nice and red, she's energetic, etc...

The coop is plenty big for the hens, and they have a big run.
We feed them oyster shell, some cat food, layer pallets, and every day we put big clumps of grass in the run. They also get bread as a treat.

I feel really bad about one dying, and I'm desperate to find out what is wrong. Hopefully it's not contagious.

The only way to know for sure is by sending them off for a professional necropsy. If that is not an option. opening them up yourself when they have died will often give you some clues. Bare back ends like this, especially if they are well rounded like those in the first photo on this thread indicate that the bird may be carrying too much fat.... add to this that the OP was feeding the flock scratch.... and you are feeding them bread as a treat and you may be looking at Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome which is basically where the bird has stored too much fat in their body and the liver has become impregnated with it and the structure becomes weak and suddenly ruptures, often when under pressure due to laying and usually either the heart or respiratory system collapse under the strain of the fluids leaking into the body cavity from the liver. Larger birds like Orps and Sussex etc are more prone to Fatty Liver, so that is something else that might tie in with your situation. Feathers hide a lot of issues and chickens can become obese just the same as people, but many chicken owners don't realise that, or know what to look for or how important diet is to a chicken..... if you think of them like top level athletes, because their bodies are operating at the peak of production, far beyond that which nature intended. Too many carbs is just not good for them and it is a fine balance that can easily be tipped the wrong way. I would suggest that the bread that you are feeding them is not doing them any good, so my advice would be to cut that out. Skip the cat food unless you have a bird that is sick and needs building up and stick mostly to the layer pellets or move to a higher protein grower or all flock with oyster shells available in a separate dish

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll skip the cat food and bread for now and see if it gets better. They don't get much bread though, twice a week at the most.

Back
Top Bottom