FEATHER LOSS-severe-NEED INFO ON WHAT TO DO ASAP

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
So my chickens all have feather loss, some worse than others, and it is not molting. I have only one rooster to 12 hens...so that should be the problem. I have checked them over for lice-don't see any. I guess it could be mites...what do I do? I have heard of the roost mites, so I am going to try putting Sevin dust in their coop...and then again in a week or two. What about the chickens themselves? I have heard of doing a sevin treatment on them by putting them in a pillowcase...any other options? I just can't figure it.t..

I use sevin dust directly on my chickens and its not a problem at all. Just sprinkle some on the back and work it into the feathers. Make sure you get under the wings and on the stomach too. Sevin dust works really well...I would for sure recommend it.

Good Luck,

oh and you may want to get someone else to hold the chicken while you sevin dust it. Thats what we usually do. Have the person that is holding it cover its face. Again, Good Luck.

Logansmommy - Are feathers missing from other areas of their bodies? Does the rooster have missing feathers too? If it's rooster tracks feathers will be missing from hen's back, head, neck. The back can be completely bald - you can try making chicken saddles for them if that's the case.

I'm not necessarily opposed to dusting with sevin, but if it's rooster tracks it's not necessary.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom