Feather loss & skin abnormality after antibiotics

jlmouton

Hatching
Sep 29, 2020
My 2 yo buff developed 3 areas of feather loss and skin irritation after treatment with antibiotics for a respiratory infection. I don't know if the two are connected or if this skin abnormality is related to the antibiotics. The three areas affected are on each shoulder and at the base of her tail. Think of the areas affected as points that form a triangle. It's painful to touch.

Attachments

• 871F6349-D91C-430E-97D3-E9CBC274EC4F.jpeg
    871F6349-D91C-430E-97D3-E9CBC274EC4F.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 5
My 2 yo buff developed 3 areas of feather loss and skin irritation after treatment with antibiotics for a respiratory infection. I don't know if the two are connected or if this skin abnormality is related to the antibiotics. The three areas affected are on each shoulder and at the base of her tail. Think of the areas affected as points that form a triangle. It's painful to touch.
More photos of the affected areas and of the whole hen would be good.

What antibiotic did you use?
Do you have a rooster?

With the photo I'm currently seeing, I'm going to assume that is the shoulder/wing? Looks like damage from being mounted. Could be from a rooster or another hen. Feathers are broken.

More photos of the affected areas and of the whole hen would be good.

What antibiotic did you use?
Do you have a rooster?

With the photo I'm currently seeing, I'm going to assume that is the shoulder/wing? Looks like damage from being mounted. Could be from a rooster or another hen. Feathers are broken.
I will get more pics. Can't remember abx. Yes, we've always had the same rooster & never had any problems. Yes shoulder. One on each plus a spot on the base of her tail.

I will get more pics. Can't remember abx. Yes, we've always had the same rooster & never had any problems. Yes shoulder. One on each plus a spot on the base of her tail.
Sounds like rooster damage, but the skin looks a little inflamed in the photo.
He may be taking advantage and overmating her if she's not well.
Depending on how you manage your flock, separating him is usually a good idea, this gives all the hens a break from his attentions and it way way easier to just put a rooster back into a flock of hens than it is to add back a single hen to a flock with a rooster.

Look forward to more photos.

Back
Top Bottom