feather loss v.s. roo

Gallus Sapien

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Wisconsin
When you have a roo the is the prob. what is exceptable? Yes, I know they sell saddles...but I don't see this much feater loss with other peoples flocks.
barnie.gif
Others also have 2x roos I have a 1/12 ratio and he is tearing them up. No time to build 2nd coop for another mo. and nails are clipped. Why do I have this prob. and other flocks do not?
he.gif
COMMENTS/IDEAS/PLEASETHANKS

Younger roosters tread more often than older roosters and sometimes they have their favorite hens they always tread on. You can always sell your rooster, adopt him out, freezer camp etc...and consider getting an older roo. The older the better. I prefer to have roos over 1.5 year old.

Personally, I don't have much patience for roos that tear up the girls. So if I had one causing severe issues, I'd eat him. Of course there are different options with what you do with him if eating a bad roo just ain't your thing.
But if he's unnecessarily rubbing their backs raw, you should probably get rid of him.

Good luck. I flock just became mature around Christmas and the main roo picked his five favorite girls and tore them up. Now that all the girls are laying he seems to be better. I hate the way the girls look and hope it will be better after they molt. Maybe it's a new roo thing?

Yeah, the younger roo's are way more active. One of my younger roo's (LB) is doing pretty good so far, he had a time where he REALLY tore up this one gal, but she's getting better.
@ Gallus Sapien - You could wait this phase out, but that may or may not be in the best interest of the hens.
Good luck. I flock just became mature around Christmas and the main roo picked his five favorite girls and tore them up. Now that all the girls are laying he seems to be better. I hate the way the girls look and hope it will be better after they molt. Maybe it's a new roo thing?

Back
Top Bottom