Feather loss???

I had two roosters back in January who were ripping the feathers out of my hens, so I had to separate them. It wasn’t as bad as this feather though.

I didn’t know if it could be something else like bullying or feather picking.

The feather loss before hand with roosters was minimal this has become much more severe in the past week.
If you have no rooster, then the further damage is being done by another hen. Observe your hen's behavior, see if you see picking/plucking during roosting or some mounting early in the morning or late evening.

Photos of the whole birds so we can see their profiles would be good too.

Molting generally follows a specific loss pattern starting at the head and neck, then down the back, wings and tail. It usually does not only happen on the back or tail. The feathers are broken and or rubbed in the photos, not shed like typical molt. Broken feathers and those that still have intact follicles in the skin will not be replaced until the pullets molt.

Do check them for lice or mites, just to be sure they are not plucking at themselves, but likely you have 1 pullet that is fairly pristine as far as feathers go, she's not got much more damage than what the 2 cockerels did, so she's the one I would observe for picking and/or mounting.

Back
Top Bottom