Feather mites--how long until the tail feathers recover?

I never saw any moving live bugs. I only saw the gland looking weird and not secreting and her feathers going to hell. So I treated her and all the birds, even though she's the only one showing symptoms.
I just looked at the post thread you gave me the link for. I do believe she has the feather mites. But didn't see if you did you try the permethrin and if it worked?

I just looked at the post thread you gave me the link for. I do believe she has the feather mites. But didn't see if you did you try the permethrin and if it worked?
If you read thru that whole thread, you will see that it was not my birds that were affected, and whether they were able to get rid them.

Ahh, I scrolled back thru and here is where they had used an off label in the past.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...arasites-nothing-works.1256486/#post-20160670

If you read thru that whole thread, you will see that it was not my birds that were affected, and whether they were able to get rid them.

Ahh, I scrolled back thru and here is where they had used an off label in the past.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...arasites-nothing-works.1256486/#post-20160670
Thank you for this @aart. Sorry for the confusion. I see they used what I think is Ivomec pour on for cattle and then figured the dose by talking with a vet and referencing the Exotic Animal Formulary book.

Here's my conundrum...
  • I don't have vet that will see chickens :(
  • I don't know if my bird STILL has the quill mites--I never saw them to begin with--her tail feathers are all chewed up and down, but I can't tell if they've gotten worse if they are still like that from before the (1) 2 treatments of elector on all my birds, (2) full coop clean and scrub followed by painting of the entire inside of coop, and (3) treating the coop with elector.
  • If I treat again with something like the Ivomec pour on, how would I know if they were gone since the feathers don't recover until they molt?
I feel completely stumped and flabbergasted. :hit:th
I know its the wild birds getting in the run that are the culprit and I have no way of keeping them out. I so love my chickens, and want to continue having them...

Bird netting....change of feeder type or placement
So I use Grandpa's Feeders now. Switched to those about a month ago. I can't really put up bird netting where the yard is bc I live in an orchard and occasionally big tractors have come through and access the area.

Question: my droppings board and roosts are sprinkled with what looks like tiny chewed up pieces of feather follicle in the morning. Could this mean the mites are still in the quills chomping down, or perhaps that she's shedding out the pieces of follicle that have been damaged? I haven't seen any more feathers with chewed up pieces shedded recently. Feathers on her tail are still pretty jacked up tho:hmm

Her and all the birds and coop have been treated twice with Elector PSP. I bought some permethrin powder just in case i need to do this again. But hesitant to treat her again if she doesn't still have the mite.

Question: my droppings board and roosts are sprinkled with what looks like tiny chewed up pieces of feather follicle in the morning. Could this mean the mites are still in the quills chomping down, or perhaps that she's shedding out the pieces of follicle that have been damaged?
Have no idea, but pics would be good.

@BennieAnTheJets Do you have any further information for how you knew the quill mites were gone or not?
Have no idea, but pics would be good.
20190707_165604.jpg

image000000_58.jpg

Got an image of the base of her feathers along her back. They look like they are disintegrating at the base. Maybe I should start a new post about this with these pictures.

Ok. Hope folks see this.
See my two other threads on this issue. Been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I need help pretty please!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-my-americauna-has-feather-mites.1313946/#post-21416654

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...long-until-the-tail-feathers-recover.1318358/

She's now been treated twice with Elector PSP 2x and I'm pretty sure, after examining her feathers this afternoon, that she still has something going on. I wasn't sure if her feathers were getting worse or not, but I don't think these quill mites are gone. They are in the follicle of the feathers, and eating through the quill I think. In the morning there is a dusting of what looks like chewed up feather quills all over the roosting bars and droppings board, too. I'll try and get a photo of that too.

I can get Ivermectin, the 1.87% paste, but not sure how to dose her. I've read some threads about it, but I still don't understand fully:( I also have permethrin powder, but I'm new to both of these, so any need help on how to administer and dosage, and which one I should use would be greatly appreciated!

Ok. Hope folks see this.
See my two other threads on this issue. Been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I need help pretty please!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-my-americauna-has-feather-mites.1313946/#post-21416654

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...long-until-the-tail-feathers-recover.1318358/

She's now been treated twice with Elector PSP 2x and I'm pretty sure, after examining her feathers this afternoon, that she still has something going on. I wasn't sure if her feathers were getting worse or not, but I don't think these quill mites are gone. They are in the follicle of the feathers, and eating through the quill I think. In the morning there is a dusting of what looks like chewed up feather quills all over the roosting bars and droppings board, too. I'll try and get a photo of that too.

I can get Ivermectin, the 1.87% paste, but not sure how to dose her. I've read some threads about it, but I still don't understand fully:( I also have permethrin powder, but I'm new to both of these, so any need help on how to administer and dosage, and which one I should use would be greatly appreciated!
@Sue Gremlin do you have any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom