Feather pecking in 4 week olds

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
I have removed the offending chick and put him (it is a him) in with my bantam rooster for some lesons in ettiquette.

However, I have some now rather bald looking chicks. As both new feathers and established ones were lost (two tails gone and one has lost top wing feathers) can I expectthe to grow back before first moult? Chick fuzz has gone too but I'm not so worried about that.

One brahma chick has been badly stripped. Anyone any advice?

Btw - feather picking has now stopped.

Ok I really need an answer here! If there is anything I can do for these guys I will, but they will have to go outside in the next week or so as I need the shed back, and I don't want to put chicks out with bad skin...

We have had some issues with feather picking, and have separated the injured ones from the rest until they healed. However, we treated the pecked ones with pine tar when they went out with other chickens because they were still being picked at. Chickens hate the taste, and it sort of cures that problem. The birds that had only feathers pulled out grew them back quickly. The one whose skin was pecked away leaving a quarter size hole did not grow feathers back there. We have read that the chicks may be lacking enough protein in their food or were too crowded or were bored if they pick others feathers. Ours are now 10 to 11 weeks...there is still a little feather picking going on. I believe time will take care of this problem but others might have more experience than me.

Thanks, KNP. I removed the worst offending baby roo and have had to seperate one of the larger pullets as the others are still having a go at her. Will keep her seperate for a week I'd say until she has had a good chance for the skin to heal. They haven'tdone TOO much damage, but have put anti biotic powder on her.

I was rubbing on vick's to try and curb it, it worked on the two with missing tails, but not this one.

Back
Top Bottom