Feather Pecking in General

Sorry for the later response been out pet sitting

HAHA Iike the idea of getting the chickens drunk.....

Here is what I have done, I picked up some led lights and just installed on the coop. I need to wait about 30 mins to get the timer attached to the lights but they will go on at 2 am and off before dawn for now.

I started them on the 20% protein chicken feed

I put a head of lettuce in the coop to distract them and they devoured the head of lettuce in two days....there is nothing left of it

I'll pick up some can food when I get my car back from the mechanic today

I have talked to the hatchery they came out of and pretty much saying if feather pecking is going on out of season it can get worse as there is usually no cure for it. She gave me the same suggestions above and said hesitant that if this is her flock she takes em out.

I am the works to expand the run by end of week, even if I have to zip ties pallets and put a fence around and on top.

Thank you for your wisdom and idea, I'll figure out how to save the comments so I can keep going with them.

Also talked to the hatchery about getting a rooster and they gave me three suggestions on breeds for my specific situation, buff orpington, barred rock, australorp. She said getting a rooster might solve the majority of the hen bad behavior going on.

One of chickens has lost a good bit of feathers on her bum. I don't know how long she's been like that. There are 6 of them, and they don't usually squabble, except over food, but they aren't aggressive. I don't think a predator did it, and she is not sick. I thought it was from sitting on the eggs, or her bedding. I just cleaned it yesterday. She seems fine, but I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom