Feather Pecking - Muscovy Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AZ Rabbits, Apr 15, 2012.

1. AZ Rabbits

AZ Rabbits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    My muscovy ducks (born on St Patrick's Day) are having a problem with feather picking. It's mostly one, but when I remove that one I see that another starts. Then when I remove that one there is another (there are 9 total). It is getting bad to the point of drawing blood at the tail and wing areas. I have let them out to free roam the backyard and it is still going on. They are fed a duck feed crumble and have plenty of water.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. AZ Rabbits

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    Any suggestions at all? Or this this not a common problem?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it was chickens I'd say they need protein, I've never had a problem with ducklings or ducks doing this, but I'd get some blue kote and spray it on the areas where they are picking it will disguise the raw parts and help to heal. and maybe get them something special like a head of lettuce hanging in their run or house mine love it and meal worms and peas, lots of peas, when you see them start to do this distract them by giving them something else to do. a nice swim with peas thrown into the water to dive at and eat, the lettuce to play with and eat. and of course the meal worms. try some of these things and see if it helps or stops the problem. Let us know.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Goslings will do this out of boredom. They grow out of it, but it's a pain until they do. Are they doing outside, or only inside? If inside you may want to give them more space to spread out in.

5. AZ Rabbits

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    They're doing it inside and outside of their pen. I separated the two worst ones and it's improved a little. I put them back together after a couple days of being apart and it went right back to pecking so I separated them again. It's frustrating, for sure!

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    According to old faithful (Storey's Guide) this is more common in ducklings and usually a result of boredom. The book says at the first signs, check brooder temp, reduce light intensity with a blue or red bulb, make sure their diet is balanced and that they have enough feed available. Also provide green feed (grasses, lettuce, etc)
    Good luck.

7. AZ Rabbits

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see how it goes...

8. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo New Egg

Aug 6, 2012
    I have 10 muscovy ducks and have the same problem. I think one died from the stress. Tried separating them and still a problem. I have them on range. Any other suggestions?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have never had this in my Scovies, are you sure they are getting adequate protein? are you supplementing their ranging with feed also?

10. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i've just had this problem too! first time in 2 years. i've incubated a batch, rasied them together and this particular batch just picks feathers. they have plenty of food & greens. frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by