Feather Pecking

I wouldn't do anything to Oreo specifically - anything you add could irritate her skin, or it could require constant application which gets tiresome for you and stressful for her. Her damage isn't too bad and the skin doesn't look damaged.

As Ridgerunner noted, the general number quoted on here is treats shouldn't exceed 10% of their intake. It's not a magic cut off of course.

Age and hormones could possibly be factors as well. Some birds age better than others, so if a hen starts slowing down more than the others the flock may see it as weak and that could cause pecking order or bullying issues.

Hopefully you can find some ideas in the clutter thread for things to keep them busy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140
Thank you. As far as age goes, both hens are the same; both part of our 2023 additions. I will check out the link.

18% isn't bad but the extras might be diluting down the protein. Occasional treats are fine and they do give the birds something to peck at, but try to keep it minimal.

Unfortunately even birds that have been raised together and lived together for years can be affected by pecking order changes and what was once plenty for them to live peacefully becomes no longer enough. With spring in full swing, hormone changes might be what kicked off this bad behavior, or it could be a hold over from being more tightly confined in winter, I don't know.

With your set up, one issue is that while you technically have enough space for 10 in terms of footprint, the reality is you have 1 narrow run that's too small for the number of birds, then a 2nd narrow run - and the narrowness means it's difficult to add clutter and items to keep the birds occupied and to provide hiding space for a bird that may be getting chased around by another. The 3rd run space is bigger but sounds like mostly a summer thing, which is fine for that time of year but doesn't help with crowding or boredom during winter.

You can try the pinless peepers. It might turn out to just be the one problem bird, or you may find that there's others contributing. Peepers aren't a long term solution but sometimes the goal is just to break the habit and hope for the best.

If that doesn't work, you're looking at having to rethink the set up - maybe that 3rd run can be roofed over to be put in use permanently, for example - or the possibility of rehoming the problem bird(s).
Since the last postings I have opened up the adjacent space for a little more room but, that was my area for separating when needed. Hens seem to like it tho. I have tried to observe a little more but no luck to seeing any more bullying/pecking. The RSL was the ONLY incident that I physically saw & Oreo would just stand & let her peck. It was brief but still.... damage is is done. I have now found the back of my LO neck pecked (not bad, yet or like Oreo-s backside but noticeable) & not really sure which hen is responsible. So, now I don't know what to do. Just watch & wait? OR close up that section again & isolate the RSL??? (By the way, my RSL "Honey" is the same hen in my other post about "Flock Member Protects Chicken Keeper")

Looked at the clutter links but just don't have the room like what seems to be back east/southern region. Neighbors here have BYC with more compact set-ups than ours. Maybe I worry too much 🤷
We camp quite a bit in the summer 7-10 days at a time. I find neighbors to collect eggs & coop clean BUT...of course no one takes care of your chicks like you do. So... kinda stuck here. Two years ago I had NO idea the time & responsibility (or problems that come with) of raising chickens & that's an understatement. I love 'em but get frustrated, discouraged and sometimes remorseful that we started this. (ALOT of work & expense) You've seen our set-up... We have installed fans, misters. AND (don't laugh) cameras in the coop to look after & care for our hens. Gotta wonder how in the heck grandma & grandpa did this??? 😭 I'm ranting on now, but .....what to do? What to do?Just wish the chicken world could play nice!!!!!!

Lots of good advice already!
I agree that 4' wide is too narrow, because their personal space can extend that far, making it difficult to avoid issues with another bird. And about the weather, mine only care to be out of the snow. rain, nobody cares. And limiting treats to levels that don't unbalance their primary diet.
Also, we no longer have red sex-links or hatchery RIRs, because those hens seemed to have feather pecking issues, nothing we wanted to deal with. If you separate this hen you noticed doing this, and then add pinless peepers to her life, see if she is actually your only problem bird.
Mary

Lots of good advice already!
I agree that 4' wide is too narrow, because their personal space can extend that far, making it difficult to avoid issues with another bird. And about the weather, mine only care to be out of the snow. rain, nobody cares. And limiting treats to levels that don't unbalance their primary diet.
Also, we no longer have red sex-links or hatchery RIRs, because those hens seemed to have feather pecking issues, nothing we wanted to deal with. If you separate this hen you noticed doing this, and then add pinless peepers to her life, see if she is actually your only problem bird.
Mary
I'll try the separation & pray that works... How long do you recommend?
Hesitant on the peepers...with my luck it will cause different health issues. 😔

ALL my hens are different breeds. RSL, RIR (no problems, sweet). BO, LO, WLH, SLW, EE, SF, BCM, & BA.
To this point I've considered myself extremely lucky with health & behavior issues.
I really do love & enjoy them but WHOA! shoulda done more homework...my bad 🤦
Thank you!!!!!!
Margo

P.S. I will try to post an outcome update after some time. How long will it take for the feathers to fill back in? Oreo waa my last to molt.

I've had almost the exact same problem for 6 months since we adopted a few new hens. All integrated into the original flock except a SLW who came to us small and shabby. No infestations noted, no diseases, but she is always on the outskirts of the flock. They mostly ignore her EXCEPT a Bard Rock who will come up behind her and yank out her tail feathers. I give a treat of some cracked corn daily when I collect eggs, and put it in 5-6 areas of the run for the 6 hens, but that Bard Rock always goes from pile to pile pushing her way in. The others just move to a new area but the SLW runs b/c she will be pecked if she doesn't move. I've tried everything except giving away the BR or culling her. She is a constant egg layer so I hate to go those routes. I have a huge run (over 100' long and 16' wide so space isn't a problem. There will always be some tussling among hens especially when treats are concerned, but I won't tolerate feather pulling.

Two years ago I had NO idea the time & responsibility (or problems that come with) of raising chickens & that's an understatement. I love 'em but get frustrated, discouraged and sometimes remorseful that we started this. (ALOT of work & expense) You've seen our set-up... We have installed fans, misters. AND (don't laugh) cameras in the coop to look after & care for our hens. Gotta wonder how in the heck grandma & grandpa did this??? 😭 I'm ranting on now, but .....what to do? What to do?Just wish the chicken world could play nice!!!!!!
I have a camera too and hubby asked yesterday why we don't have two. :p

Chickens unfortunately don't play nice so sometimes we have to do the deciding for them. Whether that means birds get separated out or rehomed or pinless peepers for all.

How did gramps and granny do it? Realistically they ate any birds that were problems. My mother has already offered to slaughter any birds that aren't pulling their weight (I tried to explain to her that a pullet coming into lay in winter would be delayed, she said in her household it would be dinner).

Gotta wonder how in the heck grandma & grandpa did this???
Probably a lot like mine or my parents. I'm old enough so anything i say is an old saying I have a different perspective than many people on here. Your grandparents probably lived where they had a lot of room. A couple of generations ago a lot of people lived in rural areas. Chickens likely free ranged and mostly fed themselves except in the bad weather months. The people would control predators but otherwise let the chickens be chickens. A problem chicken was eaten as Rosemary said. The chickens probably hatched and raised chicks with very little help from humans. Some people may have considered chickens as pets but for the most part they were livestock. You take care of livestock, but you generally don't cuddle livestock.

Our workhorses and the milk cow got grain in addition to hay but the beef cows were only fed hay in winter, we put up a lot of hay. They all ate grass in the good weather months. The cattle, horses, and chickens were expected to take care of themselves as much as possible, we were working too hard to baby them.

It is a different world now. The majority no longer live on enough acreage so the livestock can take care of themselves. Chickens are more pets than livestock. We don't necessarily keep them for the same goals.

I would not want to live like that again. There are reasons I left the farm and got a job. It was a hard life no matter how much you romanticize it. Some people are still happy to live in similar circumstances but I'm not one of them.

You have certainly put it into perspecive. I do love & cuddle my chickens but it's a love/hate relationship. Trying to have my cake & eat it too I guess.
Spot on! The world IS a different place now. MUCH different.
P.S. Was telling my husband just a couple daya ago what a hard life it was back then. Raising BYC is barely a taste of what our ancestors endured.

I've had almost the exact same problem for 6 months since we adopted a few new hens. All integrated into the original flock except a SLW who came to us small and shabby. No infestations noted, no diseases, but she is always on the outskirts of the flock. They mostly ignore her EXCEPT a Bard Rock who will come up behind her and yank out her tail feathers. I give a treat of some cracked corn daily when I collect eggs, and put it in 5-6 areas of the run for the 6 hens, but that Bard Rock always goes from pile to pile pushing her way in. The others just move to a new area but the SLW runs b/c she will be pecked if she doesn't move. I've tried everything except giving away the BR or culling her. She is a constant egg layer so I hate to go those routes. I have a huge run (over 100' long and 16' wide so space isn't a problem. There will always be some tussling among hens especially when treats are concerned, but I won't tolerate feather pulling.
So, what exactly do you mean???
I won't tolerate feather pulling. What do YOU do?

Back
Top Bottom