feather pecking

mwells6chicks

Songster
7 Years
Jun 8, 2013
NJ
I have 8 1 week old chicks. One of them a polish. Their feathers are coming in and they all frolic together. This morning I found my polish with all of her head fuzz pecked out and very pink/reddish skin. No active bleeding. I sprayed her head with antiseptic spray and separated her from the others. Can anyone tell me how long I should keep her separated? If I put that blue stuff on her can I reintroduce her quicker?

Hi
I have polish chickens 17 of them. They are a breed that is known for being at the bottom of the pecking when living with other breeds. Also the vaulted skull and fancy crests that they have seem to to encourage more feather pecking from other breeds. Also I have found that once they see blood or redness that makes them do it even more. Have you tried red lamp it does sometimes stop the other birds seeing the redness. I would keep it separate for as long as possible but so it can still see the other chicks or put just one other chick with it a quiet one? Fluff/feathers should come back ok. Hope your bird is better soon. Polish are great birds my best so far. Good luck.:fl

I'm not sure what else to suggest apart from keeping it separate to give it time to heel. I would also just try and keep it clean and dry. I'm in UK so not sure what you mean by the blue stuff? If you put that on and put it back would the others chicks peck it off?

Back
Top Bottom