Feather Picking HELP!

Jake1199

Chirping
Mar 19, 2022
I’m having trouble trying to fix my chickens from picking the feathers off the other chickens. I only had 6 chickens and a big area for them to be in so I don’t think it’s because of overcrowding. I also have a high protein feed and I’ve been giving BOSS as well. I have tried blu kote religiously and it doesn’t help. I have used chicken aprons but they’re pecking by each others vents so they don’t help. I resorted to putting pinless peepers on all 6 of them and that seemed to help. I had them on them for 3 months and it gave enough time for all the hens to grow their feathers back. I took them off and the pecking started back up so I culled the two bullies. Thought everything was fine and boom, I look outside today and two of my hens have bare butts again. I know it’s not mites, I have seen the hens picking at each other. I only have 4 hens now so I really know it’s not overcrowding. I just put Pick No More on them in hopes that that helps. Does anyone have a secret that they can share that helps!? I’m so tired of this! Would bitter tasting dog chew spray help!?

🙁 can you put treats in to prevent boredom? A head of cabbage or some kale or watermelon?
That’s another thing I am constantly doing. I throw grain grains out all the time, a few times a day. I throw them sunflower seeds, I put meal worms in little treat dispensing balls. They have so much room and the all stay right near each other and peck each other.

That’s another thing I am constantly doing. I throw grain grains out all the time, a few times a day. I throw them sunflower seeds, I put meal worms in little treat dispensing balls. They have so much room and the all stay right near each other and peck each other.
Stinkin chickens! That sucks I’m sorry

@Jake1199 Where you ever able to find a solution to this? It sounds like you were doing everything you could. I'm starting to have a minor issue myself, with similar circumstances (lots of room, enrichment, treat toys, etc... and they still clump together and start nibbling 😑)

Back
Top Bottom