Feather picking-not an emergency

Mar 15, 2018
SE Wisconsin
I'm new to chickens and I have five 4-week old bantam chicks. 3 EE's, 1 Cochin, and 1 Polish Crested. I just realized the other chicks have been pecking at the back of the Polish's head (her name is Amber). The back of her head is bare of feathers but still has stubbs like they're being broken off. It's been that way for a while but I just thought that they were coming in slowly. I realized they were pecking at her when I put a camera in the coop. I put blu-kote on the area. No blood or broken skin. It happens when they go up on the roost, they preen then settle down to sit or doze. When Amber sits, the two next to her will peck the back of her head. They don't yet sleep on the roost at night so it's during the day. I haven't seen them peck at her at any other time. I've seen every chick peck her there at some point during roosting time, not just a couple of them. They have a 6' x 8' run and a 3' x 6' coop with ample roosting space. The 5 of them don't take up even half the length of the top (or bottom) roost. They have 2 feeders and 2 waterers, one set inside and one set outside. They eat an 18% protein feed. They don't get too many treats...well, yesterday I dropped the bag of meal worms and they got a bit more than usual, lol. They are fast!
My question is what do I do if they continue to peck at her feathers? I did see one take a peck at her after the blu-kote. Is there anything to put on her that would taste bad?

If you put your bird down while the bluekote is wet it does taste bad. Otherwise I believe there is no-pick products. The problem is you have a single polish in a flock which is a novelty. Often a single polish gets pecked at. It can turn bloody and deadly if it goes too far. It may get worse as they get older. I would try a no pick product. If it continues you may have some hard decisions to make. Polish are often best housed with other polish.

If you put your bird down while the bluekote is wet it does taste bad. Otherwise I believe there is no-pick products. The problem is you have a single polish in a flock which is a novelty. Often a single polish gets pecked at. It can turn bloody and deadly if it goes too far. It may get worse as they get older. I would try a no pick product. If it continues you may have some hard decisions to make. Polish are often best housed with other polish.
I had ordered the 3 EEs and 2 surprise chicks, those were the Polish and the cochin.

Agreed. The presence of the Polish could also lead to feather pecking becoming habitual in your flock - not good.

Back
Top Bottom