Feather plucked

Jaksmac2

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2016
Plymouth, Devon, U.K.
Hi
I've only had my 4 chickens 4 days, and noticed tonight that 2 of my hens have been pecked at on their back feathers and feathers are missing and goodie has an open would which is bleeding is this normal behaviour? What can we put on this wound if anything! Can anything be done to stop this or is this normal pecking order.

More information about your situation would help. Did these hens know each other before you got them? Where they a part of a larger flock? How big is your set up? Normal pecking order issue don't usually end up with birds pecked bloody. That's usually a sign that they are trying to remove or even kill certain members so it's not to be taken lightly. You definitely need more room or roosts further away from each other. I use bluekote on wounds to disguise the blood. I'm guessing your 4 hens aren't used to being kept together.

More information about your situation would help. Did these hens know each other before you got them? Where they a part of a larger flock? How big is your set up? Normal pecking order issue don't usually end up with birds pecked bloody. That's usually a sign that they are trying to remove or even kill certain members so it's not to be taken lightly. You definitely need more room or roosts further away from each other. I use bluekote on wounds to disguise the blood. I'm guessing your 4 hens aren't used to being kept together.

Hi yes when we bought them from taylormade poultry in the uk they were with about 40 other hens but they had more room to roam. My run is 12ft long by 6 ft wide. And 6 ft high. Their coop is 3 ft off the ground.we can't get blue Kate in the uk, is there anything else you recommend. Xx

Where is the wound specifically? Lower back? Upper back? In between the wings? But yes I would use blue-kote, and if it continues separation of the 2 that are being pecked.

Some people use Neosporin, the one without the pain relief. Otherwise I don't know of any other products as bluekote is my go to stuff. Wish I could be more helpful.

How large is the coop, I'm thinking they are getting pecked in there while going to roost. Hopefully they work it out or you may have to separate out the aggressor for a few days than try again.

When they come from a larger flock what often happens is people get birds that didn't necessarily hang out together and aren't friends, so a whole new pecking order needs to be established again. Also the stress of being relocated can bring out so pushy behaviors as they try to make sense of what has happened, and they need time to adjust to the smaller setup and different territory. You just have to watch that it doesn't become too brutal.

I would use a smaller piece of wire to separate out the bully in the run for the day and see how it goes.

Some people use Neosporin, the one without the pain relief. Otherwise I don't know of any other products as bluekote is my go to stuff. Wish I could be more helpful.

How large is the coop, I'm thinking they are getting pecked in there while going to roost. Hopefully they work it out or you may have to separate out the aggressor for a few days than try again.

When they come from a larger flock what often happens is people get birds that didn't necessarily hang out together and aren't friends, so a whole new pecking order needs to be established again. Also the stress of being relocated can bring out so pushy behaviors as they try to make sense of what has happened, and they need time to adjust to the smaller setup and different territory. You just have to watch that it doesn't become too brutal.

I would use a smaller piece of wire to separate out the bully in the run for the day and see how it goes.

Thanks for that advice. Bought some ant pek spray tonight,hoping
Where is the wound specifically? Lower back? Upper back? In between the wings? But yes I would use blue-kote, and if it continues separation of the 2 that are being pecked.

Hi
The wound is on the lower back by tail. We can't get blue Kate in the uk I'm afraid. Would the separation be short term as we will have to do another run for them.as theiron run is too small to separate.

Back
Top Bottom