Feather Plucker

happychic

Chirping
Sep 14, 2010
Tennessee
I have four chickens, three are hens and one is a roo. One of the hens is particularly vicious to one of the others. Their coop is 4x4 with an attached run twice that size and they are let out to roam almost every day for most of the day. They also have a self feeder stocked with corn and dry feed. She (Esther) aggressively hunts food all day while they are out roaming. She doesn't nap like the others. She is beautiful and healthy, definetely not losing weight, I think she is just food obsessed. They were also all wormed with Wazine about 6 weeks ago. The feather plucking on my other hen has to stop. Esther is constantly chasing her down and harassing her. Is there a deficiency of some sort going on here or is she just mean? I'm considering getting rid of her if she doesn't stop, the problem is she is my only regular layer. Thank you for any advice!

I read once that a protein deffciency can cause feather plucking. Try scattering sunflower seeds? We buy a huge 50 pound bag at our feed store and scatter several cups (we have several chickens). That may help? Also, it could just be the pecking order...maybe once they have established that, the pecking will be less severe? Did you try searching the forum for "feather pulling" or "feather plucking"? I bet there are few more detailed and experienced posts. Good luck! I hope you do not have to loose your best layer.

Last edited:
They have been together for a while and I think they've got their order down. It actually seems to be getting worse insted of better as time goes on. I will try the sunflower seeds and hope for the best
smile.png
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom