Feather plucking....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mei&Popcorn, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all! I have a problem with my chickens bullying each other... I have two coops - one has two 1 year old hens, and the other has one 3 year old hen (the 1st in pecking order) and two 2 year old hens. Peanut, one of the 1 year old hens is constantly bullying Poppy, one of my two year old hens. When I let them out of their coops, Peanut chases Poppy, and I've seen her grab the feathers on Poppy's head. Poppy is missing 1/2 the feathers on her head and neck - no blood, but it looks painful... Should I just give Peanut away (I do know someone who only has 1 chicken and is looking for another, and she's just as crazy about chickens as I am), or is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

2. Mei&Popcorn

Does anyone have any ideas?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Ordinarily, the pecking order resolves itself. On the other hand, you have a perfect solution in the other person wanting a single chicken.

Chris

4. Mei&Popcorn

The problem is that this behavior has been going on for months- how long does it usually take for them to establish things? Also, I'm pretty attached to Peanut because she is sweet to people, just not Poppy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by