Feather question?

Buzz2035

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
Can any one tell me why my ducks wing feathers are coming in like this? He is about 2 months old. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 9884021D-9278-4DE6-965B-1B29E98760BA.jpeg
    9884021D-9278-4DE6-965B-1B29E98760BA.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 500984E1-0E0C-4EB4-AFBF-4E7942088F32.jpeg
    500984E1-0E0C-4EB4-AFBF-4E7942088F32.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 14
Can any one tell me why my ducks wing feathers are coming in like this? He is about 2 months old. Is this normal?
I live in South Florida and have had tons of Muscovy ducks here and coming and going never seeing feathers come in like that something is really wrong they're NO that's NOT normal I would get that looked at 😬

It appears the feather at some point broke off and is slowly wasting away with necrosis. I would consider this an isolated injury and nothing to be concerned about. Perhaps it is the angle of the photo, but it appears the bird may be suffering from Angel Wing. It is hard for me to tell with the picture being so close.
Maybe you could post a few pictures farther away?

It appears the feather at some point broke off and is slowly wasting away with necrosis. I would consider this an isolated injury and nothing to be concerned about. Perhaps it is the angle of the photo, but it appears the bird may be suffering from Angel Wing. It is hard for me to tell with the picture being so close.
Thank you for the reply sorry it took so long for me to tell you thank you. She/he doesn’t have angel wing thats the only way I could hold the wing to take a picture it ened up bleeding and no matter what I did kwik stop and corn starch but no matter what I did it wouldn’t stop bleeding I had to end up going to the vet three times for 3 diffent feather and even after the vet pulled the feathers the bleeding wouldn’t stop and ened up having to stich them closed to stop the bleeding.

You wouldn’t by chance know what I can more I might can do for the same ducks legs? The hocks are pretty swollen I have Howard on vetprofen 75mg and primor 240 for about 10days and have 4 more to go but doesn’t seem to be going down any.
5C0EB37F-C56C-424E-AE52-E32131A08DCF.jpeg

Attachments

• A7A88C75-8CFE-4455-B61A-D04C19D83E13.jpeg
    A7A88C75-8CFE-4455-B61A-D04C19D83E13.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 7
The bird likely has a niacin deficiency but is close/at the point of no recovery.
You can try using this product, and give her 1ml a day over treats, or alongside its bill, and see if it improves.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex#:~:text=Durvet 43851 High Level Vitamin,for livestock are administered intramuscularly.
Sorry forgot to mention I am giving flush free niacin the 500mg capsules about half of one a day so give or take some 250mg a day. I have been doing that for a few weeks now. Would the one from tractor supply be better?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom