Feather Sexing Seramas?

Ive sold #1F, #3F, #5F, #6F, and #8F so I will not have weekly pictures of those guys but I am in touch with the owners so if a roo starts crowing I will know about it and update. below I have updates for #2F and #4M

^^^^ #2F 8 days old too early to really tell but I will keep updating!!!

^^^^^^ #4M 15 days old

^^^^ #4M 15days old. I have noticed this ones comb is prominent, and it seems to ruffle its feathers up and peck at me when I mess with it, which are good signs that I am right so far....

Cant wait to see if this works!
thumbsup.gif

Here is #4M at 5 weeks 3 days old! He is getting pointed addle feathers and a very large comb! I will update when he crows but it looks like this one is still a BOY!! I will update if he crows!

#4M day 8

#4M day 15

#4M day 38

#4M day 38

#9M Born July 4th. 24 days old looking like a boy to me still!!

#9M 1 day old

#9M 1 day old

#9M 24 days old

#9M 24 days old

So now that they should have all grown up what we're your results? Just hatched out 13 and would like to try this, I am only keeping 3 as I hatched for a client and 2 areggs payment and the 3rd a gift. :)

This is such an informative thread. I had no idea you couldn’t feather sex Seramas except for the fact every time I have tried I’ve guessed the opposite! Meaning- that which I thought was male was female and vise versa....speaking of trying to sex them right after hatch.

You can tell by the progress of how the feathers come in. Takes about two to three weeks but I did get it right more by those standards. Seems the gals get their wing feathers in faster while the boys develop other things. Most of my Seramas I could tell within 4 weeks because the fellas have obvious thicker more prominent combs and big hunkin’ legs and feet. They also will “sing” crow.

This surprised me, but I moved some chicks yesterday which are not even a week old and I heard one of them “sing” crowing already! It was as if the stress of the move brought out their natural defensiveness and desire to protect the brood. What I mean by sing crowing is that it’s more like a high pitched squeal/squeak. Hard to describe. A good way to describe it is maybe more like if you sped up the sound of an adult rooster crowing by 75%. Fast, high pitched and squeaky with that unmistakable rooster crowing sound.

This thread was highly informative... not sure if liz26’s experiment was completed but they ought to be commended for the work they put here. Special shout out to them!

This is such an informative thread. I had no idea you couldn’t feather sex Seramas except for the fact every time I have tried I’ve guessed the opposite! Meaning- that which I thought was male was female and vise versa....speaking of trying to sex them right after hatch.

You can tell by the progress of how the feathers come in. Takes about two to three weeks but I did get it right more by those standards. Seems the gals get their wing feathers in faster while the boys develop other things. Most of my Seramas I could tell within 4 weeks because the fellas have obvious thicker more prominent combs and big hunkin’ legs and feet. They also will “sing” crow.

This surprised me, but I moved some chicks yesterday which are not even a week old and I heard one of them “sing” crowing already!
It was as if the stress of the move brought out their natural defensiveness and desire to protect the brood. What I mean by sing crowing is that it’s more like a high pitched squeal/squeak. Hard to describe. A good way to describe it is maybe more like if you sped up the sound of an adult rooster crowing by 75%. Fast, high pitched and squeaky with that unmistakable rooster crowing sound.

This thread was highly informative... not sure if liz26’s experiment was completed but they ought to be commended for the work they put here. Special shout out to them!

Do you have a recording of the "sing crowing"? My chick is probably a cockrel, and I'm wondering if the little sound he keeps making might be what you're describing.

Do you have a recording of the "sing crowing"? My chick is probably a cockrel, and I'm wondering if the little sound he keeps making might be what you're describing.

It’s been so few and far in between really. I’d like to get it recorded. Might be difficult to catch on film. It just sounds like a quick high pitches screetch.

What Happened with the chicks! This was 3 years ago!! I have to know!!!
You're asking someone who hasn't been around in years. But, refer to the earlier post explaining why it doesn't work. Every so often someone makes the claim that this works for them, 100%! It's not scientifically possible.

Back
Top Bottom