Feather sexing

Jun 7, 2020
NSW, Australia
This little cutie just hatched out. Anyone experienced at identifying the gender from the wing feathers?

Cheers

Attachments

• Pecorino 2.jpg
    Pecorino 2.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Pecorino 1 .jpg
    Pecorino 1 .jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 11
Hey @OneHappyRooster @Acre4Me

I'm actually not sure on the breed, I was told the eggs were isa brown X

Can they be feather sexed? Otherwise I'll happily wait till they're older, just thought I'd see.

I'm planning to put her under my broody hen shortly (it's night time here in Australia). She hatched about 3 hours ago. Any idea how long I should wait before putting her under the hen? Is it fine as long as she has dried off nicely?

Cheers for your help.

No, almost certainly not.
But ISA brown are sex linked. Cockerels will be white with specks. Hens will be brown/red. Since yours is a cross, it's hard to say. Do you have a photo?

How long has your hen been sitting?
Does she have any chicks already?
There's a chance she will attack the chick, so go slow.
Don't put her under any later than 1-2 days old. They imprint in that time.

Hey @OneHappyRooster , I've attached a photo of the newly hatched and the other three that were hatched in the last 2 days.

I've put her under my other broody (Cochin) who doesn't have any chicks yet but I've had her in a seperate broody coop and she has been sitting for almost 2 weeks. I made sure it was pitched black and tucked the chick under her wing. Stayed by the coop for 10 minutes and didn't hear any ruckus so fingers crossed they'll be waddling in the garden in the morning. I'll keep checking on her.

Attachments

• the three.jpg
    the three.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Pecorino 3.jpg
    Pecorino 3.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom