Feather Snacking/Eating

LindiePindie

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
I have 2 hens who are near the bottom of the pecking order who love to stand over their sister hens while they are taking dust baths and snack on the feathers that grow just above the tail. They also enjoy the feathers on the necks of their sisters. Everyone in the flock is affected, including the feather snackers with patches of missing feathers. The only one who has beautiful feathers is my sicilian buttercup who screams and runs anytime anyone comes near her. I've seen it happen over and over and the girls aren't looking so hot. I've increased protein through feed and extra snacks (boiled eggs, tuna, BSFL and our family's leftover meat). I'm ready to get rid of the two offenders, but wouldn't let them loose on another flock without warning them.

I've looked over past posts with not much help found.
I have 12 hens, all around a year old, 600 square feet of run space with lots of "enrichment" objects in the run.
Is there no hope for these two girls?

Is there no hope for these two girls?
It does sound like habitual behavior issue, still possibly boredom related.

Raw feathers are only 2-5% digestible protein, making dietary level a less likely offender than most folks think (imo).

Pinless peppers might be an option for you.

2 is a large enough flock for them to become their own at a new home if truly desired and not impact anyone else's existing flock.. otherwise disclosure is sufficient.. the flock dynamics may be different at their new home as is often the case.

Best wishes! :fl

ETA: aside from the feather snacking.. getting a good look at skin condition and ruling out parasites (or treating if needed) is highly recommended.

Pinless peppers might be an option for you.

2 is a large enough flock for them to become their own at a new home if truly desired and not impact anyone else's existing flock.. otherwise disclosure is sufficient.. the flock dynamics may be different at their new home as is often the case.
Thanks for you advice and thoughts!
The peepers are a good idea as they won't be able to peck what they can't see.
I've never given up a chicken before so that is an emotional hurdle I'm trying to deal with as well. For some reason I thought chickens were going to be easy.

Back
Top Bottom