Feathered Feet Vs. Mites

Normal looking for year old feathered feet?

• Total voters

mapurcel

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Norfolk County MA
recently I took one of my girls to get checked out by the vet for leg mites. (Different girl than photo). The vet said that my hen did not have mites.... but the one I took in looks the best out of all of them.

I didn’t press the matter because it is a new vet and she came out and stood in the rain with no umbrella to describe a whole bill of health. When her glasses started to fog I just left it alone.

I have a flock of year old mille fluers and I’m new to feathered feet BUT these legs look awfully suspicious to me.

is it normal for feathered footed feet to be this scaly compared to regular girls?

Attachments

• 2E969E74-D884-4788-81FD-960B98AA6FC0.jpeg
    2E969E74-D884-4788-81FD-960B98AA6FC0.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1A894B4D-2FED-4D55-BCF1-3DDF13FAC9D8.jpeg
    1A894B4D-2FED-4D55-BCF1-3DDF13FAC9D8.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 27
No harm in treating their legs to see if it gets better.
With feathered feet it‘s gonna be messy, but...

Most people will pull them from the roost at night, and either dip their legs in Mineral oil (try to find something tall and just wide enough to get their feet in comfortably— a good handle is helpful, too.
Or others prefer the Vaseline/petroleum jelly method. Slather the a very generous coating all over their legs. Pop them back on the roost and grab the next one... repeat until everyone’s done. You need to do the treatment every night for at least a week, possibly longer...

And you’ll need to muck out the coop & run, wash inside the coop and especially the roosts with whatever you normally use to deep clean with, then dust inside with Sevin or permethrin dust over all the surfaces and in all the cracks, crevices, nooks, & crannies.

Good luck.

I had this same question about a Brahma foot. Ended up treating just in case, waiting on results now. Yours don't look quite as bad as mine do, but I think I see some of the scales lifting to the point of looking like a second claw right above the nailbed. My girl's foot is just like that but *way* more pronounced. Time will tell if the treatment heals the foot.

Gosh I know your pain. I can never tell if my feather footed birds are having issue or not. I would give them a good wash and and slap on some nu-stock ointment just to be sure, can't hurt them.

Try permethrin on their legs.

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 15

Back