Feathered Hatchery in Texas. Reviews?

chickengingers

Hatching
Jul 12, 2016
Near Waxahachie, TX
Hello, everyone! I am new to BYC, sort of. I've been reading for a few months, but this is my first day joining and posting. I have an appointment tomorrow to go to Feathered Hatchery in Hillsboro, TX to buy some chicks (a legbar pair, a barred rock pullet, and two golden neck d'uccle pullets). I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of them and what they think about them?? This is literally the only breeder for cream legbar's in at least a 50 mile radius of me that I have found after 2 months of searching. I'm trying to avoid shipping costs/stresses if at all possible. Any thoughts? Any other resources?

Hello, everyone! I am new to BYC, sort of. I've been reading for a few months, but this is my first day joining and posting. I have an appointment tomorrow to go to Feathered Hatchery in Hillsboro, TX to buy some chicks (a legbar pair, a barred rock pullet, and two golden neck d'uccle pullets). I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of them and what they think about them?? This is literally the only breeder for cream legbar's in at least a 50 mile radius of me that I have found after 2 months of searching. I'm trying to avoid shipping costs/stresses if at all possible. Any thoughts? Any other resources?
Sorry, but I have only used Ideal Hatchery. Good luck!
Mandy

But they don't have any CCL babies :(
Have you looked on the BYC page "Where are you? Where am I". Look for Texas and ask your question. If someone has the type of birds you are looking for, they'll answer you.

Have you checked facebook? There are 2 pages that I know of for our area (Central Texas Poultry and Bastrop county FB pages). You might see if there is one for your area.

Good luck!

I wouldn't be too sad about Ideal not having what you want. I ordered from them and was not pleased. I ordered various breed of ducks (5 of them) and didn't get what I asked for. So maybe you are better off! Since they are just pets I wasn't terribly upset, but they were not what I ordered. Oh well!

Mandy

Have you looked on the BYC page "Where are you? Where am I". Look for Texas and ask your question. If someone has the type of birds you are looking for, they'll answer you.

Have you checked facebook? There are 2 pages that I know of for our area (Central Texas Poultry and Bastrop county FB pages). You might see if there is one for your area.

Good luck!

I wouldn't be too sad about Ideal not having what you want. I ordered from them and was not pleased. I ordered various breed of ducks (5 of them) and didn't get what I asked for. So maybe you are better off! Since they are just pets I wasn't terribly upset, but they were not what I ordered. Oh well!

Mandy
Thank you bunches for the suggestions! I have searched FB a good deal and still have trouble finding local breeders or hatcheries. I'll definitely be sure to check out those pages!

Well, I found that one, but I won't be buying from her again. 2/6 babies that came home were sick, one of them died overnight the first night, one more that didn't look sick at all died Saturday night, and the second one that is sick still isn't improving. I'm sort of facilitating this project for my mom, who is fed up with the food industry's standards of keeping chickens for meat and egg purposes. Mom was actually more impulsive than I about this particular purchase (strange, since it's usually the other way around!) I'm not shocked at the health of the birds we bought since that lady at Feathered Hatchery had at least 200 chickens/chicks crammed in a small, metal building.

I did, however, find two more places on Craig'sList and on here about 100 miles away. I'll be looking into them here pretty soon.

As for Ideal, their $25 minimum is probably too much for us since I would have to purchase 7 or 8 chickens to fill that order, and I only have room to keep 6-8 adult chickens, and we currently have 4 (probably 3 soon :( ..) babies already. Not to mention they're known for adding extras, even sometimes despite the request NOT to do that!

Again, thank you for the suggestions! I very much appreciate the help.

Thank you bunches for the suggestions! I have searched FB a good deal and still have trouble finding local breeders or hatcheries. I'll definitely be sure to check out those pages!

Well, I found that one, but I won't be buying from her again. 2/6 babies that came home were sick, one of them died overnight the first night, one more that didn't look sick at all died Saturday night, and the second one that is sick still isn't improving. I'm sort of facilitating this project for my mom, who is fed up with the food industry's standards of keeping chickens for meat and egg purposes. Mom was actually more impulsive than I about this particular purchase (strange, since it's usually the other way around!) I'm not shocked at the health of the birds we bought since that lady at Feathered Hatchery had at least 200 chickens/chicks crammed in a small, metal building.

I did, however, find two more places on Craig'sList and on here about 100 miles away. I'll be looking into them here pretty soon.

As for Ideal, their $25 minimum is probably too much for us since I would have to purchase 7 or 8 chickens to fill that order, and I only have room to keep 6-8 adult chickens, and we currently have 4 (probably 3 soon :( ..) babies already. Not to mention they're known for adding extras, even sometimes despite the request NOT to do that!

Again, thank you for the suggestions! I very much appreciate the help.
You are more than welcome! Good luck in your search!
Mandy

Back
Top Bottom