Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV) clean Legbar source

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
Interesting... but the mycoplasma did not come from Cackle surely. How many did you purchase? Did they all start laying on time (<30 weeks?). and sorry to hear that you are dealing with this in your flock.
Oh no, definitely not. As far as I can tell it was introduced by two outside legbar hens that exhibited no symptoms despite a lengthy quarantine. They laid very well and were my only breed to continue laying well through the winter and I believe all started before 25 weeks. The eggs are not exceptionally large, but they are a good size and IMO a good blue.

I did get a mix of true cream and more yellow birds, and have some lovely white sports from them, too.

I will also note in my review of Cackle legbars—I started with a large flock of 25 to cull from and had no losses even from my adult flock during the mycoplasma incident after a full year. We only faced problems with the young birds we had hatched that were exposed, which is normal.

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Oh no, definitely not. As far as I can tell it was introduced by two outside legbar hens that exhibited no symptoms despite a lengthy quarantine. They laid very well and were my only breed to continue laying well through the winter and I believe all started before 25 weeks. The eggs are not exceptionally large, but they are a good size and IMO a good blue.

I did get a mix of true cream and more yellow birds, and have some lovely white sports from them, too.

I will also note in my review of Cackle legbars—I started with a large flock of 25 to cull from and had no losses even from my adult flock during the mycoplasma incident after a full year. We only faced problems with the young birds we had hatched that were exposed, which is normal.
That is excellent news! I think I will be ordering from them! Their reviews are pretty good with regards to health too. Thanks for your feedback.

Top Bottom