Feathered out

broomrider

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Northeast Missouri
How old should my cornish cross chicks be when they are completely feathered out? I've steadily lowered the temp 5 degrees each week. They're mostly feathered out but not completely and they are going to be 4 weeks old this Saturday. I'm not worried about it, I was just wondering if I have too warm. It's about 70 in the brooder house.

nojake

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
My voracious raptor piglets that bite the hand that feeds them are 5 weeks old. They've been in a tractor for a week and are fine (had to put heat lamp yesterday for sub freeze in mississippi; global warming?) but they are fine, although looking like they have the mange. We had 20 mph north wind at 40' and they were downstairs feeding. They grow so fast that it is hard to remember they are still baby chicks. I feed a 16oz cup of starter 3x per day, plus treats. Scratching like a chicken. Earlier post said they have a very unattracive molt for a couple of weeks.

broomrider

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Northeast Missouri
I said the same thing about mine but they haven't been in the wind! I'm moving them out to another building this weekend. It is suppose to be warm for several days. The only heat they will have will be the heat lamps. I think I'm feeding them too much since they are confined. I'm going with another post and only allow them to feed for 12 hours and give them a little more than the minimum requirements. You read so many different things on how much they should eat, how much room they should have etc. it gets confusing lol.

Top Bottom