Feathering Heights is now open!

Really well done! I build this design from catawbacoops as a business venture in my area and I know what hard work it is. I'm glad to hear what you said about it taking forever. I thought I was just clueless because it takes me in excess of two weeks to build each one.

I like the idea of painting each board before the tractor is put together. When the weather clears up here more (for two days during what passes as summer
gig.gif
:rolleyes:) I'll have more room to lay that many boards out.

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear if you have any issues with how the design works for you over the long haul. One area I worry about, for example, is the fit of the sliding side doors. I just wonder if they might warp over time and then not fit.

Input would be great. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Well the point of the tractor is to move it around every day so they won't destroy the lawn. My lawn is not perfect anyway. I have 5 dogs too, and three kids, and friends, you get the picture. It was freshly mowed before we move the coop to the back yard.
wink.png

Quote:
One issue I had was I think the bottom boards, the ones that touch the ground, are not sturdy enough. They need to be 2x4's not 1x3's. Also I stapled my chicken fencing along the top and bottom on the inside to keep the predators out. Also to save cost and weight I used galvanized hook and eyes instead of gate latches on the doors. I was also sure to paint all screw holes because water will get to the wood there and warp it. If I was going to do it again I would make the side doors out of plywood, not pieces of 2x4. There is no reason to make the doors so heavy. Plywood would be lighter and much less expensive. The plans are kind of weird because the top is so sturdy and the bottom flimsy. I would be sure to definately sand and paint the coop floor. It will make it much easier to clean. For the pulley we found an old dog lead at the thrift store and used the cable and pully from that. Saved us a ton of money there. I have to say when all said and done it costed about $200-$250 to build our selves. Not to mention 3 weeks of work.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom