1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathering Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi guys!

My ladies are 6weeks old now, and are nearly fully feathered. My RIRs look like what they are except for faces that are still a little light (where they still have a bit of fluff). My BRs look like BRs.

My New Hampshire reds, on the other hand.. While they do look like NHRs, I have one super light, almost buff colored one, 2 medium ones, and one nearly as dark as the RIs. At this point, everyone is developing black "necklaces", basically black dots around their necks. I just dbl checked the pic on My Pet Chicken.com, and this breed does not have these spots.

Is this not their adult coloring? The necklaces are very pretty, but I'm just surprised, I guess.

Any thoughts on juvenile feathers vs. final adult feathers?

-Meghan

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The chicks will go through at least three minor molts before they reach adulthood, and some feather coloring may change.

Some of the adult molts will produce changes also. Two of my mixed breeds started out white with random black streaks. After their first full adult molt they became a beautiful white and gray triple laced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by