Featherless Chicken

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I live in the north so winters are a struggle here. I had some concerns with a 1 1/2 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte, she has stopped laying, she is missing feathers all over the place. When you try to go near her she screams and freaks out. I have been feeding mealworms and other protein packed things but not much is working. I do think she might be pulling them out herself and then eating them because she is segregated and I have never found one feather.
Any advice would be great! Thanks

Here's the pic

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    765.6 KB · Views: 11
She has been like this for about 7 months. I assumed she was molting but not anymore
She stopped laying and started dropping feathers 7 months ago?
How long has she been in that crate?
Why is she in the crate?

What is her regular feed, brand/model/protein and calcium percentages?

Are there any pin feathers growing in?

Did she scream when you handled her previously?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @TOPChickens13
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1608475379378.png

Hi, so she stopped laying and started losing feathers 7 months ago. She has been in the crate for about 2 months because I live in upstate NY where its in the 20s here and she was struggling to stay warm. I feed her Country Companion 16% protein from Runnings. She has a few pin feathers. When you get too close or pick her up she freaks out and does a god-awful scream.

I would increase her protein to 20% flock raiser or 22% meat bird feed for awile. Have you looked closely at her skin under her belly, wings, and on her neck for any lice or mites? Is she pecking out her own feathers? Were the others pulling out her feathers? Can you put her crate out in the coop with a heat lamp where she can be with the other chickens for awhile to get used to the cold again?

Back
Top Bottom