Featherless chickens - can they make it in colder weather?

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi everyone!

I want to adopt chickens from an industrial poultry house - they are selling chickens right now. As it's the worst type of the house - where they keep the hens in tiny cages all the time - they can be in such a state where they might miss most if not almost all the feathers.

The question is, would such hens be able to withstand upcoming autumn weather before they would grow back their insulating feathers? I have a normal wooden chicken coop without any special insulation. I live in the southern part of Czech Republic. Both autumn and winter here is mild, but it can still get around and slightly below 0 Celsius during nights.

What do you think?

Thank you, I will add heating (75W infra bulb) to keep them warm in the colder nights, until they grow back their plumage. I have to yet figure out whether to have it turned on whole night or just set intervals with a digital timer.
Can you get a light-less heater?
How cold is it there these days?
Feed them a good higher protein chicken ration to help grow those feathers in.
I'd avoid saddles, or especially sweaters :rolleyes: as they can impede feather growth.

Hi everyone!

I want to adopt chickens from an industrial poultry house - they are selling chickens right now. As it's the worst type of the house - where they keep the hens in tiny cages all the time - they can be in such a state where they might miss most if not almost all the feathers.

The question is, would such hens be able to withstand upcoming autumn weather before they would grow back their insulating feathers? I have a normal wooden chicken coop without any special insulation. I live in the southern part of Czech Republic. Both autumn and winter here is mild, but it can still get around and slightly below 0 Celsius during nights.

What do you think?
As they are usually kept in heated halls and the additionl stress from rehoming will make them more vulnerable, you might have to provide a heating source until their new plumage. Otherwise they will get sick, the nights here in Europe are quite cold already.

Back
Top Bottom