featherless spot on chicken!! HELP!! PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smf0723, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012

One of my chickens has a spot on her neck that doesn't have any feathers on it. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!![​IMG]

2. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Need more info. Is there a rooster or other hens. Does she put her head through the fence. Is she scratching the area? Give us more.

3. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    There are no roosters I only have hens. I have not seen her scratching at it so I dont think she is.

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    mites/lice i would say is your problem. those things are buggars to get rid of. spread woodash everywhere they dustbath. clean the coop really well. fluffy everybody with wood ash (or DE)
    and for that one hen i would say give her a bath.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Looks familiar... One of my EEs had her beard go bare and there were dusty black specks like dirt on her eggs. I figured it was crawlies even if I couldn't see them and went to town on cleanup. No issues since.

My process was:
    Removed everything from the coop, washed down all surfaces, sprayed coop until wet with a pyrethrum-based spray. I had extra spray so I sprayed the run and ramp. Washed their feeders and nest box liners. While everything was drying, dusted chickens with pyrethrum-based poultry dust taking special care to apply it to the beard/cheeks and around the vent of suspect patient zero. I also sprinkled the poultry dust in their nest boxes (under liners) and replaced the roost. Possibly overkill but the problem was stopped cold before it got bad.

6. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    What do i bathe them in and do I do it with soap and water??

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    a shallow tub, very minimum water. use mild dishsoap. and blow dry her on the warm setting, till she is damp. DO NOT PUT HER OUTSIDE UNTIL SHE IS 110% DRY[​IMG]

8. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    Thankyou everyone!!! I have one more question. How do i get rid of mites if theyr in the coop??

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Google pyrethrum. It's an effective miticide, low toxicity. It's also relatively cheap and easy to find. You can use DE but it's only useful as a powder and the mites have to crawl through it. Pretty hard to treat a wall that has tiny cracks where mites can hide with a powder. So, I think of it as preventative, not a treatment for an infestation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by