1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Featherless

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kentuckycoop30, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kentuckycoop30

kentuckycoop30 New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Hello fellow poultry raisers I've got a question last night I accidentally left the door open to my run and this morning of course my chickens came out in to the yard to free range and I let my dogs out without noticing well of course they did what a lot of dogs do and chewed my rooster and 1 hen up not bad just pulled a few feathers what I'm asking is there anything I can give to promote featherror growth other than a handful of pulled feathers they're are fine and dandy

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kentuckycoop, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock! I don't know if there is anything to promote feather growth or not. I think with the molt coming on they may have shed those feathers anyway, the dog just got a head start on it for them! You might want to double check and make sure there are no skin breaks as chickens go after other chickens when they see blood! If so, there is a product called Blue Kote that can be applied to deter the picking. Best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kentuckycoop30

kentuckycoop30 New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Thanks for the heads up I felt terrible when I heard the commotion

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sorry to hear about the chicken / dog debacle, but at least it sounds as though no lasting damage has been done. I agree with redsox re: feather growth.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

If the feathers were pulled completely, they should grow back in 1-2 months. You can give them extra protein to promote feather growth; cooked ground beef and scrambled eggs are some great examples of high protein treats.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your chickens really dodged a bullet there. Please don't give the dogs an opportunity to do it again- chickens usually end up dead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by