Feathers coming in funny?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sudsy Chick, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Sudsy Chick

Sudsy Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Hello everyone;

This is our first time raising chicks (actually - our broody moms did the raising!) We have several Americauna chicks that are about 8 weeks old. They all looked funny for a couple weeks due to the new feathers coming in, but they all look pretty normal now, except one.

This is TagAlong. We named him that because he would never discover the flock had moved along for several minutes.

Have any of you ever seen anything like this? He has always had a lack of fluff even as a newly hatched chick, and now seems almost bald underneath. Is this a problem? If yes, anything I can do for him? He seems fine, except that he is constantly picked on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much! dawn

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I don't see anything wrong with him currently, but the fact that he was slightly bald as a baby worries me.

Is it possible that he is being pecked on and thus has few feathers?

3. Sudsy Chick

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Quote:He is being pecked - but I've been watching that and it's another cockerel about his size and not terrible...and always in the center of the back. Never drawn blood. I often thinks he is bringing it on himself by trying to tell the other boys how much bigger he is (NOT!).

I have checked him and the other birds to make sure there are no bugs; there are none, and he seems very healthy (just not observant.)

Here is a close up of his feathers, see how there seems to be a "straw" at the base of each one?
    [​IMG]

Here he is hanging out with his mirror buddy [​IMG] and without me streching the poor little guy every which way. Looks pretty normal like this.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG] dawn

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That "straw" is the way that all feathers come in. That's not a problem.

5. LadyB

LadyB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    Looks normal to me. [​IMG]

6. Sudsy Chick

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you all so much [​IMG]

7. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    [​IMG] not a clue with the feathers but he looks so sweet! Love the pic with his mirror buddy!

8. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I had a chick like that (kinda bald) and all its feathers grew in just fine! :)

9. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    My rooster pirate we used to call "Nakie Butt" when he was in that stage of development... I'm sure you can guess why!

However, he is now a super handsome rooster! See?

[​IMG]

So I wouldn't worry unless something changes.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, very normal! Some chickies get so bald that you thought they wont grow any feathers. Eventually they will!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by