Feathers everywhere!

The birds like to be inside a juniper tree in my backyard. I fenced off an area for them including the tree. It mainly to keep them from pooping all over the back patio and front walkway. also to keep them and the dog separate.

It's hard to see, but I think you can get an idea.

definitely keep an eye on her, inspect her skin and feather shafts

and increase protein, tuna, eggs, your leftover meats, BOSS, etc etc

Good Luck!!

Agrees...hard molt.
Look for but be careful of new pin feathers...
...that will tell the tale, but they are 'uncomfortable' and you don't want to break any.

Last edited:
More than once, I've walked into my coop and thought one of my chickens must've been eaten- feathers, feathers everywhere!

Then I count and see every bird is there. My guess is she is molting. My chickens are all molting now. Perfectly normal way for them to shed old feathers in preparation for colder weather, but it is a little disconcerting if it's unexpected. The birds will look rough for a while and may cease laying but when they grow back in, the hens will all look great!

She's definitely molting. I can see new feathers coming into the bear patches. Otherwise she seems to be very healthy. I'm hoping she'll start laying again once she's done with the molt. I haven't gotten any eggs from her since the storm and the coop got knocked over. It's way more secure now.

Also I lost the last of my Reds. I swear I'm never buying another bird from anyone other than a commercial supplier. All three of the Reds I bought died the same way. They slowly became lethargic and just died. I treated them for round worm and they got a better, but eventually died anyway. I'm back to the one rooster and the hen that's now molting. I'll wait until next spring to buy some hens from a reputable place.

Thanks for all the input.

Wow what a bummer losing your others that way.
Not all commercial suppliers have good livability either.
I got chicks, raised them and lost them young to an assortment of genetic issues.

Research, research, research then cross your fingers.

I've read about the forced molt. Not something I'm interested in.

It's been getting down to the low 20's at night now. Last night I went to close the coop and my last hen was roosting in her usual spot. She tried to make her usual sort of cooing noise, but sounded hoarse. Nothing that sounded like a coo came out. I've got my eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom