Feathers everywhere?

I do not see strong evidence for predator action. If something like a fox tried to worry chickens from outside, then you would be able to see its tracks. Pattern of feather loss is consistent with stress.

I do not see strong evidence for predator action. If something like a fox tried to worry chickens from outside, then you would be able to see its tracks. Pattern of feather loss is consistent with stress.

Ehh, we've had a fox visit several times and never seen tracks. The ground is pretty hard around there. Although I will say the dog usually sniffs like crazy which he didn't do as much. But I think he did finally pick up the scent of something on the back side of the coop.

As for the feathers, it's not a pattern though. This happened in just a few hours. And they woke up earlier than usual.

They were awake at 4am, well before it's light out, making lots of noise, my dad went out and also shot the BB gun and they calmed down. Then he went back out at maybe 7 or 7:30am and all the feathers were there.

I agree, there really isn't much predator evidence or visible signs of it but there was definitely something wrong. Whether that's a predator or whether they heard/saw something weird, I don't know. But this is not normal behavior for them. They don't wake up until it starts getting light out and they are quiet until one lays an egg at some point in the morning. And they definitely don't lose feathers consistently. The feathers are from every chicken too, it seems. And as I said, they lost all of those feathers in just a few hours. I should have clarified. Those came out at once, there normally are not feathers in the run. I did think maybe one or two was molting but losing them all at once? And there hasnt been any evidence of that or feathers until this

It's definitely very strange.

And considering I had just put her out there for the first time, I think maybe something thought it could have an easy meal? But obviously failed.

Regardless, I have now put that chicken in the garage until I finish breaking her broodiness.

And I do think they're a little bit stressed and the run is a little small so I have been trying to let them free range some every day to get out. But they all are laying, healthy, and have never lost any feathers except when they molted in the fall.

I had two hens killed by weasels that left ungodly amounts of feathers, at least 50 times what your pictures indicate, and the dead hens looked like they were hardly missing any. So, seeing as you have many more hens who dropped off some feathers but no one is dead or harmed, I think something probably just spooked them and they lost a couple feathers in the panic. Since you've got your guard dog back I honestly wouldn't worry.

@KDOGG331 You said the hen your trying to break a broody? the wire cage needs to be elevated and yes bring her in the cage in at night as it may take more than a day to break broody make sure to have water food available wherever you place her at night maybe a red night light so she can see and smell it... may be beating a dead horse as you know these things

It's back.

20170601_075327.png

My dad says Gator bolted up, barking, and ran to the kitchen (we have french doors to the deck so he can see out). Poor guy was in such a rush to defend the girls that he fell and couldn't get up :( my dad lifted him up, put him outside, and he instantly went to work, running circles, trying to track it. I think he managed to track it down but it was already gone. It probably took off as soon as it heard him barking. While outside he barked a few times but not much. Then he proceeded to lay out there guarding the girls until about 5 or 5:15 when he started barking again and my dad brought him in. I am so glad we have Gator and that he was home this time.

What do you all think it was?

Agree with my dad or something else?

And the broody is no longer out there, I had brought her into the garage after this for 2 nights but sucessfully reintegrated her the other night. So she's back with the flock on the roost, not out in a cage as bait.

However we are camping and not home.

Seems to me something tried to grab a chicken butt or pull one out?

Last time the feathers were from every chicken and I think they just panicked because of a threat but weren't necessarily attacked per se. This time looks like the feathers are from one chicken and in one spot.

Whatever it is, I need to better secure the pen or move them into the new coop and fast.

Anybody have any thoughts? Especially on the new situation but im assuming its the same predator. Maybe i need a trail cam aha

K I know you have read many times that chicken wire will not keep predators out.
Neither will chain link fencing.
You have been lucky so far.
You should look into hardwire cloth ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom