Feathers Everywhere

Elf2004

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
I have 18 month old hens. Two of them are sleeping a lot and losing lots of feathers. If I pick them up or touch them feathers come out in my hand. I know molting time is possible but is it normal for feathers to come out in my hand?

I know molting time is possible but is it normal for feathers to come out in my hand?
Absolutely!

The molt is underway here. I will see huge piles of feathers all over the poop boards. So much so it looks like a chicken exploded.

Please don't pick them up or handle them during the molt. It is very uncomfortable for them.

I also offer extra meat protein during molting season. I give either a can of tuna or a tin of sardines at least three days a week.

Absolutely!

The molt is underway here. I will see huge piles of feathers all over the poop boards. So much so it looks like a chicken exploded.

Please don't pick them up or handle them during the molt. It is very uncomfortable for them.

I also offer extra meat protein during molting season. I give either a can of tuna or a tin of sardines at least three days a week.
:goodpost: X2

Absolutely!

Thank you! I was hoping that’s all it is. I only handled them to give them some nutrients and to soak one cause she had a messy booty. 😊

Back
Top Bottom