Feathers everywhere

jayjay

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Essex, UK
Hi all, this is probably a silly questions but when do ducks moult. My poor drake is loosing feathers everywhere. He does not show it to look at but there are feathers all over the pen. I have moved him recently away from his lady friend whos eggs are due to hatch. Is he moulting or anxious i wonder. He is his usual funny self, runs to me when i go in and has to have a peck while i'm giving him fresh water etc. He is a very happy little thing and shows no signs of illness at all.

My Pekin and 1 of my Mallards are molting right now. They are 11 and 10 weeks old. I am assuming the rest of the crew is going to start any time now as well.

Thank you, thats put my mind at rest, i thought maybe he was molting. He is a call duck and very very funny must admit he is my favourite, he has such a personality and is a cheeky little devil. Thanks for the help.

My buffs are around 10weeks and they're molting rapidly!
I go to clean the coop and there's feathers, I go inside their run and more feathers!
This is normal!
Birds have different molt cycles for the different seasons!

My 2 drakes are just turning 3 months & have been molting a bit at a time for a couple weeks now. I can sit there & watch them pluck feathers after they bathe by the billful. We have all these feathers everywhere. The chickens of about the same age are also molting. So I REALLY have feathers everywhere!!! But no naked birds. They just lose them as the new ones come in.

Back
Top Bottom