Feathers everywhere

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayjay, May 25, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi all, this is probably a silly questions but when do ducks moult. My poor drake is loosing feathers everywhere. He does not show it to look at but there are feathers all over the pen. I have moved him recently away from his lady friend whos eggs are due to hatch. Is he moulting or anxious i wonder. He is his usual funny self, runs to me when i go in and has to have a peck while i'm giving him fresh water etc. He is a very happy little thing and shows no signs of illness at all.

2. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    My Pekin and 1 of my Mallards are molting right now. They are 11 and 10 weeks old. I am assuming the rest of the crew is going to start any time now as well.

3. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Thank you, thats put my mind at rest, i thought maybe he was molting. He is a call duck and very very funny must admit he is my favourite, he has such a personality and is a cheeky little devil. Thanks for the help.

4. jessiduck

jessiduck Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    My buffs are around 10weeks and they're molting rapidly!
    I go to clean the coop and there's feathers, I go inside their run and more feathers!
    This is normal!
    Birds have different molt cycles for the different seasons!

5. GoingQuackers

GoingQuackers In the Brooder

I have enough feathers lying around the area between the kiddie pool & the pen to make a new duck! I have 9 mallards that are 10 weeks old. It's definitely molting time!

6. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Its so good to get advice from others. Thanks so much and i have the same feathers everywhere.

7. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    My 2 drakes are just turning 3 months & have been molting a bit at a time for a couple weeks now. I can sit there & watch them pluck feathers after they bathe by the billful. We have all these feathers everywhere. The chickens of about the same age are also molting. So I REALLY have feathers everywhere!!! But no naked birds. They just lose them as the new ones come in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: