Feathers falling out?

Reliablesquirrel

Songster
May 28, 2021
Ireland
Hi everyone, I have a question about my 9 week old BCM cross. Up until recently she had very pretty feathered legs, however, now it appears that some of them have fall out and they generally look ragged and duller. I will post two pictures, one of what her feathers looked like at 6 weeks, and one of what they look like now. I’ve never kept chickens with feathered legs before, so not sure if this is normal. Thanks 😊.

Coco’s feathers at 6 weeks
B1C96475-B5BF-4B80-932F-7290D61605C4.jpeg

Feathers at 9 weeks
5BC0FADC-2600-4EAA-9A3B-ED7D355199B0.jpeg

P.S. looking at her again I think I may have noticed a very small drop of blood, but the legs don’t really look injured.

Hi everyone, I have a question about my 9 week old BCM cross. Up until recently she had very pretty feathered legs, however, now it appears that some of them have fall out and they generally look ragged and duller. I will post two pictures, one of what her feathers looked like at 6 weeks, and one of what they look like now. I’ve never kept chickens with feathered legs before, so not sure if this is normal. Thanks 😊.

Coco’s feathers at 6 weeks
View attachment 2716361
Feathers at 9 weeks
View attachment 2716362
P.S. looking at her again I think I may have noticed a very small drop of blood, but the legs don’t really look injured.
If you look closely at the 9-week picture, you will see that she is growing in new feathers. She's going through a juvenile molt. The blood means she damaged one of those pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom