Feathers feathers lots of feathers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    As we are now eating quail once a week or so I seem to be stock piling feathers. They are just too pretty to throw away!

I now have a couple of bags of mixed feathers in the freezer. Quail, rooster, chicken, turkey and duck.

Hubby is beginning to think I'm a bit odd (well, odder than usual that is [​IMG] ) but I just cant seem to throw them away.

Do any of you do anything interesting with your feathers?

2. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I have made earrings out of feathers before.. Another thing you could try, offer them for sale or give away to ferret owners. You can put them in a dry kiddie pool and the ferrets have a ball playing in them

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Might make a good pillow, or jacket stuffing. You could also try to use it asbedding for a drop pan or something.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Tie Flies..... Many Folks Tie Their Own Fly Fishing Lures (called Flies) You Can List Them On Ebay For This Purpose And Sell Them [​IMG]

If You Pinnion Wings You Can Dry Out The Wing Tips And Sell Them As Dog Training Aids As Well... [​IMG]

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Crappie Jigs [​IMG] .............. The #1 Crappie lake in the nation is right here in my back door (literally). Crappie fishin' has been a passion of mine for over 30 years, and I tie my own jigs with everything from Buck Tail to Christmas Tree tinsel. The Bobwhite feathers with the stripes in them make a bomb of a jig [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    you may could sell trade them to trappers in your area they add a lot of eye appeal to a "set" when trying to trap predators

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yup, flyfisherman or crafters might buy them from you. Worth a shot.

8. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Thank you all so much for the ideas!

I always thought fly tiers wanted things like jungle foul hackle feathers, not just ordinary feathers, no mater how pretty they are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by