Feathers gone

mconro

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
This is a strange thing and I am hoping that someone can help me. All my chickens are 8 months old now.

We have 25 Black Star Hens, 3 Jerssey Giant hens, 3 banty hens. About 3 months ago I went in to do the afternoon check and found most of my hens VERY bloody and their vents were tore up. I was a wreck. Moved them out and we removed the 3 brown leghorns roosters that were housed with them. (We also have 3 banty roosters but they are pretty gentle) We took the hens into the basement for about 2-3 weeks and with a lot of TLC and antiseptic spray, we lost none. They did lose feathers on their butts.

NOW,....there are only hens and the 3 banty roosters with the hens. (31 hens) I have noticed some of my hens are losing more feathers on their butts , necks and heads!!! No blood at all but boy are they ugly!! I think they are too young to molt. Any ideas???? They seem to be happy......we get about 26 eggs a day.

Thanks so much for any help!!

It might be a early molt...
smile.png

One of my Black Austrolorps molted about 6/7 months old.. boy was she early.. =3

Thanks so much for the info!!
We are pretty sure it isn't parasites as we gave them meds in the fall, and use DE on a regualr basis in their nesting boxes and sand box for dusting. Also, we have 31 layers and get approx 27 eggs everyday. I would think they were picking at each other but there is NO blood. STRANGE!!

Thanks again! I would be lost without all the help I get here!

Back
Top Bottom